Gearbox oil and brake fluid

Reaction score
Hey folks, right my car is getting near 50k and I want to change my gearbox oil and diff oil.

I know its not due to be done but its not going to do any harm.

So what oil should I use? I want pretty good quality stuff. Also what amounts should go in each?

My next query is to do with my brakes, what fluid should be used in them, again good stuff please.

Thanks guys.

I used a synthetic gear oil, it improved the gear change no end, and DOT5 fluid for the brakes .

I cannot remember brands tho m8 sorry, the gear oil was red, and the DOT5 cotainer was opaque

Dot 5 is silicone fluid and you will need to flush the braking system if you want to use it - you may also need to change all the rubber seals in the braking system as well. As it is silicone it won’t absorb water, but it creates “pockets” of water which boil rapidly creating gas pockets.

Dot 5.1 sucks up water like a dry sponge and would need to be changed on a very regular basis – water lowers the boiling point of the fluid by about 40% - not good!

IMO the best stuff to get is Castrol Response Super dot 4 - it is a synthetic fluid which does absorb water, but nowhere near as fast as the others.

If I were you I would PM Oilman about the oil... I got some Silkolene Race oil (not sure of the exact name/denomination or grade) for the same job as you a while ago which I believe he advised on and ultimately supplied. Not done mine yet so unsure of quantities but it will be in your handbook or the Haynes manual...

Cheers

T

[ QUOTE ]
Dot 5 is silicone fluid and you will need to flush the braking system if you want to use it - you may also need to change all the rubber seals in the braking system as well. As it is silicone it won’t absorb water, but it creates “pockets” of water which boil rapidly creating gas pockets.

Dot 5.1 sucks up water like a dry sponge and would need to be changed on a very regular basis – water lowers the boiling point of the fluid by about 40% - not good!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif maybe it was 5.1, best watch that then

5.1 is recomended yearly changes at the most, and many people say 6mths as precaution.
ive never seen any problems with people using dot 4 tho as long as it is well maintained

i'm using 5.1 and made a point of changing it beginning of winter and at the end of winter just to keep the brake feel sharp, seemed to go a little sluggish , then sharpen after change, could all be in my mind though!