CV boot torn - replace boot or joint

TeKnodriver

Biodiesel Purrrr
Reaction score
N/S CV boot torn, needs changing for MOT.

there is a slight clicking when turning right under acceleration.

Is it worth just sticking on a new boot and grease, or, given driveshaft need to come out of hub anyway,
just put a new joint on there.

Also, Haynes says entirely remove driveshaft for this job -
is that really necessary?

Biggest issue is just having enough movement on the upright to get the drive shaft out, removing the 6 bolts hold the shaft to the gearbox is the simple part and it's far easier to work on the shaft when its removed from the car. If the pinch bolt has not been removed in the last few years then I would not try and remove it find another way in getting more movement on the upright.

thanks for info,
do you mean even to change the boot it would be easier to try and get the whole shaft out? as it where...

If you've got a clicking your best off taking the cv out to clean it all up properly inspect it then if it's good regrease and fit the complete unit,

If the CV has quite a few miles on it, and it's clicking it's worth trying the J& R joints on eBay. I have two on my 2.5tdi B5 they have been fine, no noises and £16 each inc delivery, can't go wrong.
I accidentally ordered a 1.9tdi joint (on night shift and wasn't paying attention) so it's sitting in it's box in my garage.
I'm in Perth if anyone wants it

thanks for info,
do you mean even to change the boot it would be easier to try and get the whole shaft out? as it where...

defo easier to pull whole unit
pinch bolt removal and juducious use of steering wheel and it will come out

As above definately easier to remove the full shaft oh and the n/s shaft will fall out by just undoing the hub bolt and flange bolts its the drivers thats the tricky one due to the exhaust and lack of space !!!

Also make sure you have the correct clamping pliers for the clips otherwise they will just pop off !!

hey, thanks for replies,
was looking at tool for the clamps - is this the right type?
Ear Type CV Joint Boot Pliers for Clamps Fuel & Coolant Hose Pipe Clips Tool New | eBay

Yes, they'll do the trick. I used to buy GKN driveline boots (comes with clips, grease and new hub bolt) but would now recommend genuine Audi boot instead. GKN were lasting a couple of years before showing wear.

No need to remove pinch bolt - but by all means do it if yours comes out okay. Remember and grease the new pinch bolt before reinstalling.

finally got a moment this afternoon to put driveshaft back in.
just a quick check on torque settings:

the hub bolt on the end of the outer CV -
mine is just under 14mm diameter along the thread, I take it this is the M14 bolt.

spec I have is 115 Nm (+180 deg)
this sound right??

haynes mentions two settings, 190 Nm (+180deg) for the M16 bolt