What gearbox oil do I need?

Gunny110

Reaction score
Ever since I bought the derv she has had a rough sticky notchy gear change. Iv heard that the gear boxes are "sealed for life" is this statement true? And if not what oil do I use. Engine is AHU 90

yea screw the idea of "sealed for life" my mates old man got told that about his auto box on his 5 series.. it started not going up the box but only when it was hot. he went to bmw who wanted to fit a new box.
I had it up my drive for a few hours and managed to change the oil in the box.. that was around 25k ago and its still not missed a gear!!

I did want to convert it to manual but he wouldn't let me :noway:

I've also change the oil on my manual gearbox, as I don't believe in sealed for life just like I don't believe in long life servicing. It was easy to do just make sure you can remove the fill plug before you remove the drain plug. Also you will need a special tool to remove the plugs like one of these AUDI A3 A4 A6 GEARBOX, SUMP DRAIN PLUG TOOL M16 SPLINE | eBay

Reactions: jbh
Does it matter what manufacture it is? And how many liters does it hold?

Just noticed other replies to the thread lol, sorry my bad. I dont understand why any car manufacturer would make a gearbox or anything else for that matter, sealed for life. My gearbox is currently leaving my car a pain to drive and isn't as enjoyable.

I would change the oil and put some Molyslip in.Made a big diff to my wifes old Bora on 175k when that got notchy

I'm sure I used around 3 liters, but I used a measuring jug to measure the amount that came out, and then put the same back in. I also put in an extra 100ml just to cover any slight loss over the years.