Cooling 1.9tdi

K88PNS10

Reaction score
Hi guys/girls

I am new to the forum.... So hello everybody

have recently got a 2002 a4 avant 1.9tdi got it cheap as was in need of a turbo, turbo fitted all fine and runs perfect but I noticed it was not reaching correct running temp (needle was in 50) so I got a new thermostat and temp sensor for good measure last night put the new thermostat in and sensor and run it up to temp, pulled the pipe of to expose the hole by he bulk head to allow for air to come through still the bottom radiator hose was http cold after 45 mins have run it up the road etc so possibly a faulty new thermostat?

any ideas appreciated

thanks in advance

Welcome to ASN.
This time of the year you could leave the car running for that long and it won't get hot enough to open the stat, especially if you have the heater running, diesels are so much more efficient than petrols they just don't produce the heat.
You need to drive it.
If the sensor you changed was black it will be the old design one and this could well have been the issue. new one should have been green. You need to drive the car for a few miles to get the engine hot enough, turn the heater down if you want it to warm up quicker.

Karl.