rear diff thumping on my a4 quattro any joy in solving it?

jamesey

Reaction score
hi did anyone solve this ive got a 2002 a4 avant 1.8T quattro and it thumps on the back end when driving hard 1st and 2nd gears when letting off to change gear and it thumps all the time when going up a steep hill at slow speeds it like somenones got a rubber mallet under the car lol,
ive had a rear diff oil change with gl5 with no difference , also the rear tyres are different treads new on drivers side and half on passenges would this make a difference?
it also makes like a grabbing noise when im turning sharp left or right pulling out of a junction can anyone help as there seems to be a very lot of this type of fault on here but no definate fix , my car has done 163k lol but runs like newish.

Most likely wear in the rear diff, tyres should not make that much of a difference, the torsen quattro can accommodate some difference without ill effect.

alignment and tyres DO cause a scrubbing sensation for some reason. If you have an A4 it will have a torsion centre diff. The diff slack is becoming all too common, some find resolution in UJ's on the prop, or swapping the diff for a known good one.

My 165 k car has no shunt, yet the wifes 120k Avant with full history has a load of slack/shunt

Your 02 car a B6 or late B5?

Yeah, every quattro with a front to back engine has a Torsen diff, none of the Haldex nonsense as on transverse engined platforms.

Reactions: crazy88
you say centre diff do you mean rear diff , looks like my prop shaft runs from the front of the car garbox right to the rear prop with a bearing carrier in the middle of the prop , theres no centre diff? , are the ujs on each ends of the prop and wheres the best place to get them from please. mine is a 2002 a4 avant 1.8T