headlight bulb recommendations wanted

Have a word with T8ups on here, he is the man for all things bulby.

Why did you get a ticket?

Did you have HID's fitted to reflector headlamps and were blinding everyone with them?

The nightbreakers are reasonable, but the differences in halogen lamps are pretty small, I'd just nail in some cheap ones from the local factors, and save the money to buy either factory HID light units, or a proper HID retrofit kit with projectors.

Why did you get a ticket?

Did you have HID's fitted to reflector headlamps and were blinding everyone with them?

The nightbreakers are reasonable, but the differences in halogen lamps are pretty small, I'd just nail in some cheap ones from the local factors, and save the money to buy either factory HID light units, or a proper HID retrofit kit with projectors.

they passed there mot like that and ive ran it since may without a problem but was coming home last night and was stopped as "one of my headlights appeared not to be working properly "

I got out the car and had a look one was dimmer than the other so I switched them off check the connections and turned them back on and they were fine.
the copper then gives me the 21 day slip as "the car doesn't have self leveling headlights or a wash system so shouldn't be fitted with HiD lights!!"

my wee man is going in for a major operation in January so to be honest im just wanting to fit a good set of standard bulbs and I can deal with getting an HiD set up in the future once ive got more time and cash to spend on it.

That's one anal copper to give you a ticket for that. And there are a number of Japanese cars that have HID's and do not have washers or self levelling.

Reactions: B5 BIKER
That's one anal copper to give you a ticket for that. And there are a number of Japanese cars that have HID's and do not have washers or self levelling.
yea its the local jobs worth copper that doesn't like newcomers into the village...
He lives back in the day when it was a mining village and everyone was related and you needed to be built in with the brickwork to get a house in the village.

Philips extreme vision are the best I've found. Had them in load of things and they have always been brilliant.

Out perform the osrams in the reviews too.

They do, but there's a new version of the +90% Osram Night breaker Plus.

+110% Unlimited.

More expensive than Plus but cheaper than Phillips extreme vision.

I fitted Bosch +90% bulbs this year. Still think I prefer the Philips Xtreme, but quite honestly they're all 'marginal' in terms of lighting.

Cool - will try the 110% ones.

I agree that the lights are still not great, but they are atleast acceptable with the Philips bulbs.

I've always just bought the cheapest xtreme visions i can find on eBay, had 5 or 6 sets in different things and never been sent fakes. Only ever had one blow too. Around £18-20 on eBay, I see the osram is about £16-18.

Interesting that your local plod interpreted the law about self levelling systems etc in the way that he did. I wonder if there had been a clarification from the Home office about HIDs. There has been a lot of views expressed on the forum over the months (years?) about the retrofitting of HIDs - has anyone ever challenged a prosecution In the courts and won or lost their case to create a precedent?

as mentioned above there are many cars with factory fir HID's without washers or self leveling, and you really don't have to look far to find factory HID's in reflector lights.
While i can't stand lights that dazzle everyone it's a bit unfair to attack everyone with retrofit units, if they were £30 ebay specials then feel free to stick a hammer through them haha.

As for police attempting to fire out construction and use regulations from their head, they are only human and quite often have it wrong.
The biggest thing is tyre tread depths, there are 2 rules depending on vehicle type and the police often mix the 2 together for some reason. If there is any doubt then ask to see where it's stated like you can with MOT's but do be carefull as it could open a whole can of worms if you upset them