buying a tdi?

strictlyVAG

Reaction score
hi im a new one
currently a polo owner but fancy more luxury and toys
ive been looking at the a4 saloon tdi
is there anything in particular i should be aware off when looking for one of these?

also i really want a red one with a8 rims on but will i get away with 18's ?

any input apeciated
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

which model tdi?
the 1.9 or the 2.5?

18's fit fine, they have the same rolling radius as the standard wheels.

I'd personally go for the 2.5TDi, still a very economical engine despite the size.
Spend time and search, dont buy first car you see. Test drive a couple to give you a feel of performance difference bewteen 1.9 & 2.5 models.
Make sure there is F.S.H, if possible all dealership IMO.
Cambelt changed date / or due date?

I know it's not big deal, but i also check that the tyres are all the same brand / model, inc the spare. (dont ask why, just a thing i do! if it has odd tyres I wouldnt buy it.)

[ QUOTE ]
I know it's not big deal, but i also check that the tyres are all the same brand / model, inc the spare. (dont ask why, just a thing i do! if it has odd tyres I wouldnt buy it.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you mean. Psychologically, i always feel the moment a car stops running on a matching set of premium brand tyres, & is given any old mix of cheap tyres, that's the first sign it has become a banger.

i highly recommend the 2.5
mine is the 150 bhp version, on motorway runs it does between 40-50 mpg (got 52mpg once), and does 35-42 around town. all depends on how fast you drive i suppose.

obviously the quattro version will use a bit more fuel but if i could go back i would get the quattro version of the 2.5