Any 1.8 T owners de-catted?

JayB5UK

Reaction score
I'm thinking of going down this route seeing as mine is chipped but I want to maximise the effect without spending loads on a bigger turbo - yet!

Wondered if anyone has done it and if so if it throws any warning lights up as I believe there are 2 sensors not just one on the exhaust??

I am decatted. I have the supersprint one, cost about £120 if i remember correctly.

My cat only has one lamda sensor so i got no engine lights.

Its quite hard to fit at first but if needed i can explain how to do it the easiest way out found.

I can change it in about 50mins now but thats with access to a ramp.

I have however been lucky and i dont have to swap it out for my MOT.

Cheers.

Cheers for the reply.
I've seen the supersprint one, can't find a stockist as yet but i'm still looking. Looks like it'll be a git to change yes!
Was it well worth the hassle? My mate has a Golf 1.8T and has just done his and says its quicker and it sounds a lot more like a turbo car should.
What year is yours? Maybe mine only has 1 lamba but the rare pipes i've seen on US tuner's websites have 2 by the looks but only list 1 pipe for all years I think.

Mine is a 2000.

The decat has holes for 2 lamda sensors but i only needed to use the one.

It doesnt really make that much difference but i have heard that the standard cat's can melt if your car is remapped.

So most companies recommend a sports cat but they cost quite a bit.

Cheers.

[ QUOTE ]

Its quite hard to fit at first but if needed i can explain how to do it the easiest way out found.

I can change it in about 50mins now but thats with access to a ramp.

[/ QUOTE ]

tell us then i wanna know the easy way before doing it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Right here goes.

If I miss anything it’s because I have not even looked at it for over a year.

First remove all the airbox as this will make it much easier. I am not going to explain how to do this as it’s easy.

Then raise the car up and undo the downpipe to centre section. Mine had a clamp joining them together and chances are it will need replaced as it will have rusted and could snap so I would buy one before hand. Only like £10 from Euro Car Parts.

Another couple of bits to buy are the Turbo to Cat gasket and the Cat to Downpipe gasket.

Then lower the car down and undo the bolts which attach the Cat to the turbo. Two of them are easy to get to I think but one will need an extension to reach this makes it much easier.

Then I would unplug the Lambda sensor which runs to the back of the engine.

This is because it’s easier to unplug the lambda sensor out of the cat off the car.

This next bit is tricky.

Raise the car back up in the air and now pull the downpipe and Cat out from the engine bay.

Some twisting and turning will be involved but it will come out.

This is why it’s easier to do this using a ramp.

Then use a vice to clamp the downpipe and undo it from the Cat.

Then replace the gasket and bolt the Decat in place of the cat. Make sure these are tight!!

Then fit all back together as you took it all to bits.

The start up the car and get a mate to cover the exhaust end and look and listen for leaks.

I can’t remember if you have to remove the driveshaft covers on the driver’s side.

They are easy to remove.

Hope this helps guys because it took me long enough to right!!!

Cheers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

good wite up mate im gonna save it on my pc

cheers

Thats alright mate.

I will have a look at it again when my car is next up on the ramp which should be this weekend.

Just to see if i have missed anything but i dont think i have.

If you have anymore questions or that just give me a shout.