JMB RetrofitsAH Fabrications
    Neutral

Status

Gearbox Repaired!

So after exactly one callendar moth without my car I get it back today after having had the gearbox comletely overhauled.

Martyn at VAG parts helped me out enormously both by liaising with Herts and Beds Transmissions directly when I was abroad and then offering me fantastic prices on the replacement parts. Thanks again Martyn.

And the cost?

688 labour including collecting the car from my home, taking the gearbox out, rebuilding it and then returning the car to me on a transporter.

Parts were a new input shaft (the big, expensive one!), change gear on 1st and synchro rings, pinion bearings - cost c 660.

Total cost 1350 - much less than I was expecting although of course an expensive way to enjoy yourself (repeated standing starts at Elvington and Santa Pod was the cause - won't be doing that again) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

My box now has an 18 month warranty. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Happy, happy, happy

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status

Re: Gearbox Repaired!

Thought elvington might have been the cause. Expensive fun eh?! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You did nail it every time though, becoming the fastest bloke on a-s.net in the process!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

AL

Neutral

Status

Thats right - expensive fun and I did post some pretty quick times, eh Al. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] But I wont be defending my record in the future [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Trackdays only but I would go along to SP just to see everyone. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Neutral

Status

What sort of times were you getting then??

I'd imagine a standard S4 would do about 14s @ 100mph.

Neutral

Status

Best time was a 12.3 S standing quarter - in the wet [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

Neutral

Status

Does the box feel as good as before?

Neutral

Status

Hi Paul,

Just got back from Manchester. It feels a bit tighter - like a new box. I guess it'll loosen up when i get some miles on it. Otherwise no catching and no npoise. They did a good job.

Can you remember what yours was like after it was reconditioned?

Neutral

Status

I had a new one under warranty [6k job [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]]....... and felt like new [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Neutral

Status

Well I guess it wouold do!! being new and all that [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

1st Gear

Status

he he I remember getting a new box under warranty on my RS4 the price for the box was 10250 plus vat !! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif[/img]
    thank gawd it was done under warranty!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif[/img]