dead viscous fan

jcb

Reaction score
anyone ever pulled one and left it off?

is this a lock position job?

We took the fan off my brothers S4 and it was fine.

We left the two electric ones in place and made sure they were working, and they did a fine job.

My TQS also has its viscous fan removed, and only has the small electric fan fitted, and again it keeps the temperature under control just fine in the UK climate.

Might be a bit worried if you were planning on climbing mountains in europe in 35c heat, but for the UK, so long as the electric fans are functioning you'll be fine.

You have the option of either just removing the blades part, and leaving the hub and pulley fitted, or removing it all and fitting a shorter belt. On the 1.8T i removed it all, i cant remember what we did on the S4, but i think we might have left the pulley as it made the belt routing easier.

We took the fan off my brothers S4 and it was fine.

We left the two electric ones in place and made sure they were working, and they did a fine job.

My TQS also has its viscous fan removed, and only has the small electric fan fitted, and again it keeps the temperature under control just fine in the UK climate.

Might be a bit worried if you were planning on climbing mountains in europe in 35c heat, but for the UK, so long as the electric fans are functioning you'll be fine.

You have the option of either just removing the blades part, and leaving the hub and pulley fitted, or removing it all and fitting a shorter belt. On the 1.8T i removed it all, i cant remember what we did on the S4, but i think we might have left the pulley as it made the belt routing easier.

BMW lads have been doing this for years with no issue and they run 6 pot petrols.
A diesel would be fine I suspect.