Front abs sensor

Yes sensor is faulty. Is there no way without taking the hub off?

Chances are it will disintegrate once you start to work on it. The hub is easy enough to remove. You can release the hub nut, then the splined bolts on the driveshaft (transmission). Turn the steering wheel and you should be able to drop the drive shaft down and out. That will give you peace of mind that no debris gets onto the reluctor ring, etc. Use a little grease in the aperture when fitting the new sensor.

Chances are it will disintegrate once you start to work on it. The hub is easy enough to remove. You can release the hub nut, then the splined bolts on the driveshaft (transmission). Turn the steering wheel and you should be able to drop the drive shaft down and out. That will give you peace of mind that no debris gets onto the reluctor ring, etc. Use a little grease in the aperture when fitting the new sensor.

Does it matter which direction the steering wheel is turned?

Does it matter which direction the steering wheel is turned?

Shouldn't do. From memory if it was the driver's side, I'd probably turn the steering towards kerbside. Incidentally, if you go down this route, renew the hub nut. These are normally renewed as part of the CV boot, given the torque you need to use to shift it. You'll probably need an extension pipe on a 1/2 ratchet drive. Could kill two birds with one stone, does CV boot need done? Any cracks are an MOT fail.

I used to recommend GKN driveline kits, but they wear prematurely after a couple of years. A genuine Audi boot is probably better.

Will I be able to release the hub nut with the front end up on stands. Just put a couple of bolts back in and get someone on the breaks?

Will I be able to release the hub nut with the front end up on stands. Just put a couple of bolts back in and get someone on the breaks?

No, do this with the wheel on the ground. Take the alloy wheel cover off (covering the wheel bolts) and get an impact hex socket on it with a 1/2 ratchet drive bar. Some hub nuts are Allen bolt variety. If that's the case - then I can recommend Laser tools which are excellent. I use a length of scaffold tube on the bar for leverage.

More details here: AudiWorld Tech Articles

Incidentally - there's no need to touch the strut pinch bolt, turning the wheel works. Another tip - don't hit the CV joint with a steel hammer to remove it from the driveshaft, only ever use a rubber mallet. :yes:

Just had a look at the boots they're not split but starting to crack a bit you recon they changing?

If there cracking then they havent got long left !!

the sensor will have a rubber boot, pry this upwards and spray WD down then use some pliers and work the sensor turning it back and forth then gradually pull out from the hub use more WD if necessary !!

i done mine last week had to smash it to bits then burn the inner bit that was left out so you dont damage the hole thats the last thing you want to do

The uprights have a brass insert so as long as you dont go overkill and butcher the upright you can just clean things up and fit a new brass insert !

No, do this with the wheel on the ground. Take the alloy wheel cover off (covering the wheel bolts) and get an impact hex socket on it with a 1/2 ratchet drive bar. Some hub nuts are Allen bolt variety. If that's the case - then I can recommend Laser tools which are excellent. I use a length of scaffold tube on the bar for leverage.

More details here: AudiWorld Tech Articles

Incidentally - there's no need to touch the strut pinch bolt, turning the wheel works. Another tip - don't hit the CV joint with a steel hammer to remove it from the driveshaft, only ever use a rubber mallet. :yes:

Do I need to remove the hub completely or just drop the driveshaft out?

Id say you only need to remove the wheel and maybe the brake discfor a little more room !! If you be patient and dont get frustrated and start to snap/hammer things then you can gently work it out with some WD and maybe abit of oil/diesel !!

Ok do you know where I could get one on its own? I can only find them as part of boot, joint or bearing kits and although the boots could probably do with changing I don't have the time to do them at the moment

Remove the brake carrier, caliper and disc and secure on wire support or bungee cord. You just need to undo driveshaft splined bolts and hub nut, not the hub itself.

Reactions: bouncer117
Ok do you know where I could get one on its own? I can only find them as part of boot, joint or bearing kits and although the boots could probably do with changing I don't have the time to do them at the moment
The GKN kits include everything. In my experience they're good for 2-3 years. Audi boots are better. Changing the boot on the CV joint is going to add another hour tops. Well worth it if you're removing brake components and driveshaft. Means everything will be sweet as a nut once you remove ABS sensor. Other main thing is that once CV boot splits (and it will) and normally when you least expect it, the CV gets contaminated (loss of grease and grit gets in) and you'll end up having to replace the CV too.

I was thinking this but what I thought was going to be a 15 min job on Saturday is stil ongoing, knowing my luck at the min ill take it apart and find that the joint needs replacing too

Do I need to take the caliper off aswell? Sorry for asking so many questions but this is the 1st proper job I have done on a car

All done now. Thanks for all the help and advice. Had to cut the end of the sensor off then knock it through to the inside after removing the driveshaft then because only the middle came out slowy chip the case of the sensor and the copper cage out. Also changed the cv boot which luckily was hassel free. Thanks again everyone

Reactions: spartacus 68