Something to share take a look :0!!

Gunny110

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386436953601893 I can't believe that the computer on a 15 year old derv would count up this far lol. I used to run my tires at 35psi. I am now running them at 45 and have recently fitted a pro race chip. I used to get 49-51mpg with my driving style, and I'm now getting between 58-62 I can't believe it!!!! Good derv :D

The DIS computers aren't that accurate, they are to be taken with a pinch of salt!

45psi!!! prepare to be changing tyres more often.

Do a brim to brim fillup and calculate it manually ;)

Thanks Chris, I think that is the best way of doing it tbh. Is that right jimmy, as Shirley because thee is less tire on the surface of the road there is less friction, meaning less wear? Hence the better mpg I'm getting

Thanks Chris, I think that is the best way of doing it tbh. Is that right jimmy, as Shirley because thee is less tire on the surface of the road there is less friction, meaning less wear? Hence the better mpg I'm getting

yes your theory is correct, what your not realising is, with the increase in pressure the tyre has less surface footprint this will cause the tyre to wear in the centre quickly as the load/wear is not being shared and distributed evenly across the tyre.

The handling will also be affected, skittish and unpredictable.

Overinflation > Underinflation; especially for wear, economy and handling.

Yes, but less tyre contact has it's down side especially when you need to brake. Taking corners on a frosty morning won't be a good idea either as there's no flexibility in the tyre at 45psi, bit like a train on rails.

Lol, that is very true, but I spend most of my time on motor ways (tidworth to Cornwall) most weekends, so my mpg are very important to me. I normally run them at 35psi, what would be a good standard 40?

I run mine a 2.5 bar allround !!

I am the same pretty much, 37psi is what I've had mine at. Can't remember what it says inside the filler cap. But mid 30s gives the carcass enough rigidity without being too hard.

you need to run the 225 45 17s harder than the 205 55 16s (?) according to audi.

Ok, il get that sorted then, it feels ok on the motorway tho, but I suppose for city driving corners ect, it is abit much

I've always ran my tyres at 40psi with out any issues that I'm aware of.

Lucky man for getting that MPG.

My calculated MPG is 36mpg at the moment. :(

Thanks Scotty, for milage that I do, I don't think 45 is bad, and I don't plan on plowing through a corner at 60 mph, she's a diesel!! Lol. Trust me Scotty, I was just as surprised as you

TQS's are heavier, and thus have hihger pressure as standard, so not directly comparable to a tdi FWD...

From memory, my old 1.8T FWD said 32psi all round, TQS saloon is 36F/34R and the TQS avant is 36 all round.

Look on your fuel flap and it'll give you two pressures, one for normal running and one for fully loaded. Running the fully loaded pressure all the time is probably about as high as you want to go without causing abnormal wear and effecting the handling too much.