JMB RetrofitsBadger5
    Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

Status

Air filter ... What you running ??

I no this is a touchy subject but here goes ....

i currently run a k&n 57i filter and im upgrading to the 3" MAF as soon as i get a 3 bar FPR and air filter as i just scored a set of saab reds for £22.60 posted so the F21 upgrade is closer than i expected, so now i have no air box so need a decent filtration/flowing open filter im tempted to get the AEM dry flow just because its red and will carry on the theme !!

what do you guys run/recommend ????
    1999 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport - Volcano Black

Mods - Frankenturbo F21 Kit - 3" MAF - Saab Reds - THS Decat - Non Res Milltek - ECS Crank Pulley - 034 Snub + Bracket/Gbox Mounts - 1Z/S2 Clutch + Flywheel - 007p - ICM + EVAP Delete - PFR6Q Plugs - S4 B6 345mm Brakes - 300mm Rear Brakes - Goodridge Hoses - LCR Splitter -S4 Bumbers + Skirts/Mouldings - OEM Xenons - Apikol Diff mounts - Polytek'd Rear Diff Mount
    To do/planned -Eibach pro's - GT2871/76R + FMIC + ME7 (maybe) + Engine/stroker Build

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Never had and problems with my K&N cone. When I go 3" VR6 MAF after Christmas I'll probably just mod it to make it work or use an old RS Turbo cone I have kicking about here and fettle that.

Life begins at 140mph
    Sell my Audi??? Kiss my rings!
    www.passionford.com

6th Gear

Status
    Get rid of it if you want your turbo to survive ! I have replaced a recently rebuilt turbo on a car which ran 10k on a k&N filter, the tips of the compressor blades are very worn and the car was struggling to make boost + had a boost leak type noise ! No play in the bearings whatsoever...
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

5th Gear

Status
    VAG standard air filters are every bit as good as any aftermarket filter in nearly all cases.

195bhp Seat Leon Cupra TDI - Mufflerectomy and ECU Remap - YouTube

I have actually seen the same when I was running my Passat on the dyno , removed the standard filter with 10K miles on it and it made less than 1bhp more on a 200bhp engine.
    I will stick with a standard filter.
    This is a standard Passat air filter that I opened out just to see how much filter area there is.

Twenty Eight feet long.
    I have just changed the air filter on my 3.0 TDI Audi and will try the same trick on that. Manufacturer supplied air filters used to be an issue years ago but these days they really aren't.

1st Gear

Status
    I agree, had a piper performance filter, changed it for gen Audi paper filter and car goes better and quieter! Fuel economy is up very slightly too. I also have approx 200bhp.

1st Gear

Status
    I'm running a piper cross panel filter been using them for years with no problems

2nd Gear

Status
    I am with Chris, K&N let a lot more crap through than paper, i don't care what k&N say. Years ago now i did a test on 5 cylinder coupe q that i had, i cleaned out the throttle body so it was spotless ran it for 1000 miles with a paper filter, came out clean as a whistle, then did the same with K&N panel filter in the airbox, the throttle body was noticeably dirtier with the K&N, i have tossed away several k&N filters that were fitted to cars that i have bought as a result

Status
    The thing is i have no standard airbox so need a open filter that will do its job im toying with the S2000 air filter mod or the AEM dry flow filter all i need is a air filter as ive picked up a 3.0 bar FPR today from the scrappers i use in oldham.

What cars have 3" MAF's other than the VR6 and S3/TT 225's so i can have a ganders at some filter options !!

Mods - Frankenturbo F21 Kit - 3" MAF - Saab Reds - THS Decat - Non Res Milltek - ECS Crank Pulley - 034 Snub + Bracket/Gbox Mounts - 1Z/S2 Clutch + Flywheel - 007p - ICM + EVAP Delete - PFR6Q Plugs - S4 B6 345mm Brakes - 300mm Rear Brakes - Goodridge Hoses - LCR Splitter -S4 Bumbers + Skirts/Mouldings - OEM Xenons - Apikol Diff mounts - Polytek'd Rear Diff Mount
    To do/planned -Eibach pro's - GT2871/76R + FMIC + ME7 (maybe) + Engine/stroker Build

2nd Gear

Status
    What size maf does an s4 or rs4 use? Would if of those give you a bolt on 3" OEM air box?

is it not possible to open out the stock 1.8t box to allow a 3" maf to fit?
    1999 Audi A4 1.8TQS (Standard)
    2003 VW Golf GT TDi
    2002 Audi S8 4.2 SOLD
    2004 Alfa 156 2.4JTD 20V Veloce SOLD
    2000 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro tiptronic (Electric heated seats, winter pack, lowered on H&R Springs & 18" A8 sport wheels) SOLD
    1999 Audi A4 1.9TDI 110hp (with full Audi Sports kit) SOLD

Status
    It is possible to open it up yes but i dont have one lol, and the s4/rs4 maf mounting is towards the bulkhead and not the bumper !!

2nd Gear

Status
    I see...

Thinking about it, I know what you mean about the s/rs maf, would be the same as my old 2.8.
    1999 Audi A4 1.8TQS (Standard)
    2003 VW Golf GT TDi
    2002 Audi S8 4.2 SOLD
    2004 Alfa 156 2.4JTD 20V Veloce SOLD
    2000 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro tiptronic (Electric heated seats, winter pack, lowered on H&R Springs & 18" A8 sport wheels) SOLD
    1999 Audi A4 1.9TDI 110hp (with full Audi Sports kit) SOLD

Status
    I run a Ramair Cone, tucked behind a nice heatshield...

when running its ice cold behind the shield...
    there is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes!!

Status
    I had a ramair on my 1.8 b5 and tbh thought there kits were a bit shabby they supplied a maf adapter plate that would leak air past the welds and also the filter in the kit wouldnt fit the adapter plate !!

Where can i source a heat shield from ??

Status
    oh that will be old stuff... its not the kit.. i made that myself.... not that it was much of a kit...

staright silicone tube, direct from MAF to filter.

its the filter itself that is of top quality.. I use them for everything..... they make whatever size, shape i need for throttle bodies, panel filters etc etc..

leagues ahead of most manufactures in terms of filtration and build.

the heatsheild is called Nimbus, you can form it yourself.... get creative... ;-)
    there is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes!!

Status
    Think i may go that route that nimbus stuff aint cheap at £50 for one 615mm x 600mm sheet !!!

i will get look for something to get creative with lol

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    buy a standard airfilter for a honda S2000.

Its a paper cone!

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Status
    Hmm what to do ive been toying with the idea of the ramair with some 3" flexible neoprene to a plastic 3" coupler and then the 3" ramair filter tucked right low down near the bumper !! Then i shouldn't really need a heat shield !!

i have though about the honda S2000 filter what diameter is the neck on the S2000 iirc b5quat now runs one on his tt and it slides tightly over the 3" maf !!