Smoking rear brake? Any suggestions?

• Thread starter imported_AudiOwner96
  • Start date
I

imported_AudiOwner96

I have noticed a bit of a funny smell coming from my car the past couple of days.

I pulled up to work this morning and noticed smoke coming from the back of the car. I fretted thinking the smoke was coming out of the exhaust si I got a mate outside who knew a bit more about mechanics, "it's the brakes" is the most information I have at the moment.

Anyone have any suggestions before I have to take it to a garage??

I havent been driving or braking any harder than normal....

Probably a siezed caliper. it may free with some work when its off. Tho maybe its time for a recon/.new unit and a fluid change. ??

[ QUOTE ]
Probably a siezed caliper. it may free with some work when its off. Tho maybe its time for a recon/.new unit and a fluid change. ??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, what he said.

Ok. Thank you.

will it be alright till tommorow?

How far as you will probably warp the disc and your braking will be impaired if you have far to go or even fail.

So your answer is NO

OK, before I drove it home I had a couple of people look at it in the car park. The caliper isnt seized, when I free wheel the car there is no sound of anything rubbing from the wheel and when I drive it it doesnt feel any different from normal. it does still smell of brakes every time i get out of the car though.

I actually just realised what may have caused it - on saturday morning, while it was quite foggy, a stupid lady pulled out onto a small, roudabout without any lights on. I braked hard, harder than i have ever braked before in the car, got the a.b.s. to kick in and everything!

Could it be that this is just an after effect of that which may correct itself? I am so skint i want to take it to a garage as a last resort...

Thanks for your previous help.. Any more suggestions?