Rear electric windows

Assassin

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a newbie to this forum and the Audi A4.

I've just bought a 2.8 quattro, which hasn't got rear electric windows, strikes me as weird that a car costing 30 grand brand new hasn't, it seems to have everything else leather, climate, etc.

How easy would it be to convert the manual windows to electric, I was thinking about sourcing the parts from a scrapyard. Not sure if other A4's come with them as standard and what parts I would need?

Thanks in advance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hello mate

This week I added climate to an A4 - the wiring isnt too abd actually, and the colour codes seem to be constant between 95-99 which is a great help. It's a case of tracing the wires and splicing into your current loom.

You will need the door look from the drivers door from a 4x e/w car. The dash needs to come out also. Be prepared to spend every night for a week doing this, and your car will be off the road in the day too!

Thanks for your replies...

Does seem to be a major hassle adding rear electric windows. I'll have to live with manual ones and I suppose the chrome winders do look kinda cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Who cares about the rear passengers. They'd only fiddle with them - especially if you got kids in which case you'd spend most of the time with lock on them! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mine is the same. A 1999 2.8 30V Quattro Tiptronic saloon, with manual rear windows. I looked up the car's spec on the My Audi section of the Audi.uk website. It shows that the first owner specifically ordered the car without rear electric windows. i.e. It was a delete option for a normally standard equipment item, presumably at reduced cost (although you can never tell with "these crazy Germans". Sounds like too much work to me, but if you do decide to try it, let us know how you get on.

What the hell is a "delete option"?
Does this mean you can order a cheaper car without a gearbox? That can't be right, you order a £35k car and then decide to save £100 by deselecting standard equipment?
Yes, I want my new RS6 in unfinished galvanised steel please, I'll paint it myself...

[ QUOTE ]
excursion said:
Hello mate

This week I added climate to an A4 - the wiring isnt too abd actually, and the colour codes seem to be constant between 95-99 which is a great help. It's a case of tracing the wires and splicing into your current loom.

You will need the door look from the drivers door from a 4x e/w car. The dash needs to come out also. Be prepared to spend every night for a week doing this, and your car will be off the road in the day too!

[/ QUOTE ]

Excursion,
Just a passing thought but have you ever thought that you would be better off saving up for an S4 rather than spending hours and hours turning your current car into one. I mean if you converted the hours you spend on the car into paid hours doing a p/t job...
Bruno

Strangely enough, manufacturers do offer "delete" options, and even more strangely, people do sometimes go for them. It's called consumer choice. It's not my bag, but I can't believe you've never come across the concept.

Give consumers choice, and they make stupid ones.
If this was a delete option, presumably I'll find the wiring for the lecky windows pre-installed? I don't think.

[ QUOTE ]
AndyMac said:
Give consumers choice, and they make stupid ones.
If this was a delete option, presumably I'll find the wiring for the lecky windows pre-installed? I don't think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've no idea either way on the wiring side. I'm not a teccie, I only drive the thing. It's an opinion, based it on the fact that in the "options" section of my car's profile, Audi list it as having been specced by the first owner with leather but without lecky back windows. Why would they mention something he'd not ordered as opposed to something he'd deliberately asked not to have?

Not that it's important in the general scheme of things /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Golf Bygone said:
[ QUOTE ]
excursion said:
Hello mate

[/ QUOTE ]

Excursion,
Just a passing thought but have you ever thought that you would be better off saving up for an S4 rather than spending hours and hours turning your current car into one. I mean if you converted the hours you spend on the car into paid hours doing a p/t job...
Bruno

[/ QUOTE ]

No mate - I love working on my car nearly as much as driving it. I couldn't afford an S4 ona students budget anyway, the T sport costs enough to run and insure.