Chris NottBadger5
    1st Gear

Status

if you were doing the timing belts on a AJM woud you replace the water pump as well?

Time to replace the timing belts - new water pump a good idea while i'm at it?
    Sliver 2000 1.9 Tdi AJM Se Auto Saloon cooking sherry but with CD Changer and now Bluetooth audio connection and boot based Tartan blanket. Now runs at 90 degrees like a good 'un. Quality Cambelt kit fitted - next on list is control arm set.
    Silver 2000 2.5 V6 Tdi Auto Quattro Saloon drowned on 7th August 2012 RIP - but she lives on in the many,many donor parts she gave so that others may live...

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    I replaced my oil pump,coolant pump and power steering all at the same time, the original water pump had a plastic impellar, the new one from GSF had a metal one.

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Everyone raves about metal impeller pumps, but i've heard of more metal pumps leaking than plastic ones breaking...

All the genuine Audi/VW pumps have plastic impellers.

If the pump is driven by the timing belt, then change it, and dont buy a cheap pattern thing, buy a decent one.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks all, new parts - including water pump - ordered from Jason at All German Parts in Sunny Leeds.
    Sliver 2000 1.9 Tdi AJM Se Auto Saloon cooking sherry but with CD Changer and now Bluetooth audio connection and boot based Tartan blanket. Now runs at 90 degrees like a good 'un. Quality Cambelt kit fitted - next on list is control arm set.
    Silver 2000 2.5 V6 Tdi Auto Quattro Saloon drowned on 7th August 2012 RIP - but she lives on in the many,many donor parts she gave so that others may live...

6th Gear

Status
    I don't see the point of the metal impeller pumps, Ok the plastic one break if left in for a long time, but I would rather replace the plastic water pump every belt change, than leaving a metal pump in and suffer a possible bearing failure that could wreck the engine.

Neutral

Status
    might pay to check the aux pump as well while you have it all exposed.
    1998 Audi S4 Avant Nogaro Blue
    Mazda Eunos roadster Mk1

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks All - did the alternator belt as well and it tuned out that the alternator belt tensioner was knackered as well so a new one of those. The belts hadnt been done for six years and there was a tick in the service record at 110k miles (no recipts though) so I thought that as the car may last another 60k miles now would be a good time to take the doubt from my mnd and get it all done.

Done bearings, brake discs, replaced air bag controller, do oil changes at 6k miles Next year probably will be steering arms then just need a spare engine in the garage and we will be on the road for a while.