BP Ultimate

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I've just filled up from close on empty with BP Ultimate, to see how it compares with Optimax. It'd better be good, at 97.9p a litre!

Not a BP Fan myself, either use Optimax or Tesco generally, I tend to aviod BP even if I'm really low!

I had Mihnea & Doug (MRC Tuning) in my S4 as I had a few heat issues. When they first tuned the car I was running Optimax and was advised that Optimax over here in the UK Isn't great, try BP Ultimate. I did this for 4 or 5 tanks and then went on a test with MRC and the Ultimate wasn't as good as the Optimax.
I've now switched to Total Exellium and love it..

This is the first i have heard bout Total Excellium. So its just totals version of optimax etc.?

I always use Optimax over the others because it is meant to have better cleaning properties for your engine, whether this is poppy-**** or not though i don't know.

Cheers.

I have used both and have found that Optimax performs slightly better than the Ultimate. This is specially noticed in 3rd gear which seems to go on forever when the rev,s are building up.

Tricky (98 T-Sport)

[ QUOTE ]
Not a BP Fan myself, either use Optimax or Tesco generally, I tend to aviod BP even if I'm really low!

[/ QUOTE ]

Likewise - avoid BP unless I have no other option.

Found optimax gives better mpg over Tesco 99.

Might be the heavy right foot though...

I do it think it varies at different stations to be fair. You can never be 100% sure the tanker driver gets the fuel right every time (trust me I used to be in the industry).
I've got no Tesco nearby so I usually go with Total or Shell.
There was also a big difference on the rolling road when I had my bhp/torque measured. Increased by over 10bhp when I went from BP to Shell. Weather would have made a slight difference perhaps.

After filling my 340BHP 1.8T IHI'd Corrado my motor self destructed - so I do have a strong opinion and I researched into it quite a bit.

Speak to scoobie owners about BP Ultimate... there are a lot of posts about it being the least effective at reducing knocking/pinging/det. Alot of scoob ownders run Knock Link's which show engine knock/pinging - most activity seems to come when running BP Ultimate - least with Optimax. Best power though seems to come from general Super.

Audi's are not known for breaking so I dont think it makes a huge difference. If you are running a high boost/modded car then Optimax is the safest bet.