Sealed unit battery

Nitro

Reaction score
Can you put a sealed unit battery (original VW/Audi) on a charger? Also it has a DOT indicator, which is black. Can I recharge it or is it showing that the battery life is over? If so, Wheres the best place to get replacements

I had an original sealed battery - I think it was a Hella one, You can try to charge it, though mine went at about 9-10 years. When they get in this state, usually it is a dead cell so wont hold a charge anyway.
Get a new one, Euro car parts are pretty reasonable. I upgraded to a larger diesel version - see if your battery try can cope with this there is a second mounting hole for a larger battery
Oh yes, find a local scrap merchant and take them your battery - you'll need some ID though and you'll get some ££ back !

You can charge a sealed battery on a charger as long as the current is not excessive. Some of the big rapid chargers are not advisable.
Any normal charger not an issue. If the "magic eye " is black and the battery is over 5 years old it's probably toast.
Instead of Euro car parts try carparts4less Car Parts Online, Spare Parts, Motor Spares from CarParts4Less.co.uk
It's the on line version of ECP and the prices are usually 15-25% cheaper.
Try comparing the 2 sites and you will be suprised.

Karl.

The only bad thing of the online sellers is when it comes to batteries: You have to wait and as "normal" couriers will not accept/ship a charged lead acid battery, then you have to work to the arrangement of the companies that do!