It's back, at last

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Got the car back today. I have to say she's looking & feeling very spritely.

The bumper respray ended up costing £200, compared with £140 last year, but that's because they had to sand back the gouge, fill it and then flat it down again. It's another fab job they've done. Let's hope I take better care of it this time around.

The car itself feels a lot tighter & smoother than it did. Dunno why, cos all it's had mechanically is an oil & filter change, new plugs & air filter, & the brakes have been cleaned. I guess the performance drops off in gradual steps over the year & you don't notice it until it's pepped up again. Either that or the sachet of windscreen washer fluid really does have magical properties.

The saga with the door handle spring was the most expensive attempt to save money I have ever achieved. If I had known a complete handle assembly only cost £18 ( & let's face it, even I can manage to loosen & tighten the screws that secure THAT baby to the door card), something tells me I wouldn't have paid the garage an hour's labour to try fit a new spring to the old handle, break the spindle, order a new assembly, and wait 24 hours for it to arrive, during which time the car is unuseable because the driver's door won't close.

Still, none of that matters now. I may be £490 poorer, but the car is back where it belongs. I will take some pics of the parking sensors over the weekend & post 'em up for Kevint & RasA4. I will also remove the boot badges, clean all the gunk off the paintwork with the missus' nail-varnish remover (much more effective than white spirit) , and then fit the news one I picked up on Ebay last weekend for £1 each.

And then......I will take a run down the A20 into deepest Kent, and NAIL THE BEAUTY!!!!!!!!

Glad to hear it's back and you're pleased with the result.

Let me know when you plan to take the car into deepest Kent and I'll pop up and meet you for a pint. I'd like to take a look at the paint job and the parking install aswell as try out the 2.8!

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]
Glad to hear it's back and you're pleased with the result.

Let me know when you plan to take the car into deepest Kent and I'll pop up and meet you for a pint. I'd like to take a look at the paint job and the parking install aswell as try out the 2.8!

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have PM

looking foward to those pics can you also take one of these wipers dont know whats special about them

glad your please with the results of the car.

this post is worthless without pics,lol ( I have always wanted to say that).
Nice one Jeff, i look forward to piccies

Here we go:

Parking Sensors:
P1010009.jpg

P1010010.jpg

Parking Display:

P1010015.jpg

Bumper: (there used to be a vertical gash, about an inch long & half an inch wide, just above the line of the fog light):
P1010011.jpg

Aero Wipers. They sit very flush, so you have a unobscured view out of the windscreen, plus they never lift at speed. Well worth the money.

P1010012.jpg

P1010013.jpg

P1010014.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
hay guys I'm kent way but only just.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Doc and Mart, you're welcome to join us - I'd love to see the RS4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kev.

Hi guys

I'm actually living in Kent as well now, am in Sidcup. May come along and say hello if you don't mind? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

hey jeff lovely pics thanks

question about the rear lower bumper (black bit) seem to stick out more than mine is this a seperate piece on my car the black piece curves in?

nice wipers also does this special blades ? if so do you know how much are replacements?

[ QUOTE ]
Hi guys

I'm actually living in Kent as well now, am in Sidcup. May come along and say hello if you don't mind? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem at all - We'll be there from 12.

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]

question about the rear lower bumper (black bit) seem to stick out more than mine is this a seperate piece on my car the black piece curves in?

nice wipers also does this special blades ? if so do you know how much are replacements?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it must just be a trick of the angle, as my back bumper & trim are both OEM stock.

VAGparts sell the Aero wiper kits (that's the arms and the blades) for about £65. Not sure how much a replacement sent of blades on their own are. Check out Halfords, I'm sure they'll sell 'em.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it must just be a trick of the angle, as my back bumper & trim are both OEM stock.

[/ QUOTE ]
im sure i read somewhere quattro have extra trim at the bottom

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That could be it. If you make it to the White Hart at Claygate in Kent this lunchtime, we can compare & contrast.

Thanks for the offer to meet! Was working on Sun unfortuantly, just got back from there!
Hope you all had fun!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff and I compared trim today and they are the same (mine 1.8T non quattro).

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]

Jeff and I compared trim today and they are the same (mine 1.8T non quattro).

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]
Jeff and Kev i stand corrected im sure though i saw a quattro kit on ebay which was all the way the lower part of the car

how many turned up to the meet? kent too far for me as im in middlesex.

Ah, on newer models there is a quattro body kit which is totally different from standard, maybe there is a kit for the B5 also?

Twas just Jeff and I, a rather impromptu meet just for Jeff and I to catch up - Well organise the next one with plenty of notice!

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]
Twas just Jeff and I, a rather impromptu meet just for Jeff and I to catch up - Well organise the next one with plenty of notice!
Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's right. We just arranged to hook up at short notice after I said I fancied a blat round the county today. I chose a pub I knew that was about half way between Kev & me.

It was good to experience someone else's A4 and compare notes. You spend so much time with just the one car, and you tend to focus on its foibles in isolation. Things that I thought were just a feature (or possibly a fault) of mine, I now know are common to A4s, especially with sports suspension.

Kev's 1.8T is much punchier in acceleration than mine, despite being 43 bhp down. That's because mine's feeding the extra horses to all four wheels through an auto box. They both pick up quite a bit of tyre roar on rough tarmac (that has driven me mad for three years - I was convinced there was soemthing wrong with my car. Now I am wiser /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ).

I have to say though, and maybe it's because mine has IRS (or possibly it's because it has done fewer miles), mine is much taughter and more composed than Kev's when cresting an unsighted hump-back bridge at speed.

(I reckon that cyclist is still smiling, six hours on)

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just glad I don't have a sunroof. I'd be picking shards out of my scalp still!

[/ QUOTE ]
thats got me LOL now

Oh, yeah, one other comparison I forgot to add. My head unit fascia adapter actually match the fascia!

Hi guys

Sorry I didn't make it as well. The girlfriend had mentioned that she wanted to go to Bluewater, but I was hoping she was going on a solo mission and that I could come along, but unfortunately I was gravely mistaken. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

I'm trying to keep her sweet at the moment. We're meant to be saving for a house, but am hoping to get the car in AMD for a remap some time soon. I figure if I let her spend a bit in the shops, and even carry the bags for her, I will have ammo when she complains about me "wasting" money on the car! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

Maybe we could arrange the next Kent meet at Bluewater, then everyone stays happy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

That's good because the woman can come and go shopping while we chat cars.

Just been told by my mate that Bluewater don't like crowds of cars turning up doing show and shine tings and big cameras are a no no.

I'm willing to risk it if anyone else is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Haha, that would be interesting, getting band, from where I work!! I could come after work then, depending on what time it started & finished, if I was working!