air bag problem on potential new a4. is it easy fix?

shufti

Reaction score
hi guys, brilliant forum!

am considering a purchase on an a4 but the car has an air bag fault.
it has been tested on vag-com and it is showing the passenger side ignitor has a low resistance.
my question is can this ignitor be replaced with a used part from a breaker or is it a main dealer job?
any ideas on how much it will cost to fix as i need to make sure the car is worth it if i purchase with this fault.
many thanks.

It is more than likley a dodgy connection under the seat, if however it is a didgy ignitor, then a scrappy will have the part you require. I think the easiiest way is to swap the seats out

My airbag light was triggered once, after the driver's seat was moved back & forth a lot, because my wife and I were sharing the driving on a long trip.

When it was checked, I seem to recall the fault code was low resistance, but all they needed to do was clear the code and re-set.

cheers,
i'm a bit worried about the swap the seat out comment from Mawhitey as the car has quattro leather and wont be cheap! is the ignitor an integrated part of the seat?
i didn't think the seats had airbags in a 1998 car?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you check the outer side panels of the front seat backrests, look to see if there is a little plastic moulding towards the top, with the letters "SRS" stamped into it.

If it has this, the car has side-airbags bult into the backrests. SRS standards for "Supplementary Restraint System".

i wont have a chance to check for a while as the seller is away on holiday and i cannot view the car. i'm taking this time to do some homework & consider the purchase.
i guess that as the fault is in the ignitor in the passenger seat then it must have seat airbags....?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you check the outer side panels of the front seat backrests, look to see if there is a little plastic moulding towards the top, with the letters "SRS" stamped into it.

If it has this, the car has side-airbags bult into the backrests. SRS standards for "Supplementary Restraint System".

[/ QUOTE ]

The 98 A4's did have side airbags - on cars with leather there is a small leather tab with "airbag" stamped on it at the bottom of the side bolster.

Damn. Why didn't I check this forum first.

Just had almost exactly the same problem with my B6 A4 (so it might not be exactly the same cost with your potential car). Airbag warning light was on and car was due for a service. So booked it in for today at the local main dealer.

Side airbag ignitor is showing a fault. Result; £150 for new airbag + 1.5 hours labour to fit it + VAT = £339. On top of the £310 for the service = big ouch.

Oh well, I'd have never found one at a scrappy (or I'd have never trusted it) and whilst the airbag warning light is on, none of the airbags work.

Still wouldn't surrender the Audi though!

Good luck,

Matthew

i'm a bit worried now! i'm guessing if it needs a new sea airbag also i'm going to have probs finding one from a breakers without buying a complete seat? reckon i've got no chance someone finding the exact same colour leather quattro sport seat!
may give the car a miss......as this could be dear and i'm not getting much of as discount.

any other opinions?

If you like the car can you not get the seller to get the airbag problem sorted before you buy it, or get a quote from Audi to fix it and knock it of the sellers price?

IIRC, airbags are now an MOT item. Why not ask the seller to get it MOT'd as a condition of sale?

well i dont know coz mine just passed 2nd year in a row with airbag light on, i may get it sorted by next year. =)

it has a new mot so i assumed the airbag does not effect it as snoop said......... i've had £100 knocked off and theres no more scope. i don't think it can be fixed for that, more like £300! shame!

You could always say to him you'll pay asking price if he fixes the Airbag issue! or leave it a while and then come back and make him a offer with the £300 knocked off! He may be accept then if there's been no offers!

Just be warned IF you need the dash mounted airbag it can be expensive i had to get one replaced may last year HAD to be a dealer as few if any garages will touch airbags because they are basicly explosives and need a special licence!
Cost......
air bag £157.50
labour £200.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!