Miles to a full tank (TQS OWNERS)

Bradderz_1988

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!
Reaction score
What are you guys getting out off a full tank of fuel and whats your driving style town/motorway etc ??

300 on short town journeys and about 450 on a run but it's mapped with hybrid running 220 bhp

450 on a run seems mad.

My typical drive to work consists of about 35miles of motorway and a small amount of town driving at either end. Some other odd bits here and there mixed in and the car will average about 32mpg. If i run it down to the light, that usually gives me about 360-380miles, and a fill up of around 50-55litres.

Most i've ever managed to fit in the tank was about 56 litres, and that was running it right down to "0" miles and going a bit further.

to get 450miles to 56litres you'd need to be averaging over 36mpg... I cant see how you can manage that unless your sitting at 56 in the inside lane!

Reactions: Iceash
The car normally runs on LPG but its been sick for a while .... so I have been paying for the dear stuff....

box standard tqs = 380ish normal driving-ish - can reach the dizzying heights of 42MPG driving like your nan :-/

Just got the LPG pump swapped so it is back on GAS now :) Its gooood! & Cheap

Usually about 250-280. I only really do short runs though. Went to Cambridge last week in it, so had a good few hundred motorway miles and got about 380.

Remapped, but not sure if that helps either way :)

Yep sticking at 70 and no heavy overtaking otherwise it drops to 380, I thought mine was really bad but seems pretty average on the short journeys

I picked mine up from Norwich train station and made the 510 mile trip home on one tank but only just! I wanted to see if it was possible so drove at a steady 70 all the way and got a clean run with no road works etc

Looking at my Fuelly, my best ever full-tank MPG was 36.1. That was when i moved house, on a warm summers day, and i did about 300miles on the M6 glued to the bumper of the Merc Sprinter my dad was driving. We did 70 most of the way. Had i kept that up until the tank was on fumes, i'd have managed 440miles. Unfortunately i filled it up again when we got to the new house, so it was only 40ish litres.

To manage 510miles, out of the 55ish litres of working volume the tank has, you'd need to be averaging 42mpg, and i'm really not sure how thats even possible!

I brimmed my tank on sunday so will report back how many miles i get out of it, my average day consists of roughly 40 miles on the m60 and do roughly 4-5 miles of a/b roads in a round trip !! Ive just dropped under half a tank and iirc am just about or over 200 miles.

will see what she does will try my best to run it near enough empty but if im getting on the m60 near empty theres no chance im risking it lol

In my experience, "0" miles is about 1 gallon left. Based on the fact that its a 60 litre tank, and the most i've ever managed to fit in was 57 litres on dawns, after driving for about 15miles on the M55 with it showing "0"!

Just how far down you can run it though i'm not sure, because there will be a point where theres still fuel in the tank but the pump cant reach it.

Dont you always run the car from a full tank and measure the consumption?

No dont really brim it, i put £70 a week in for work but brimmed it with £73-74 on sunday @ 129.9 a litre, so going to work out what im getting. I think ive managed 30+ miles from dis showing '0' and it started to bog down a little so had to litterally drive granny style to the nearest fuel station.

you run it on 95 octane fuel?!

I hope your not doing that with the bigmaf/injectors...

Instead of putting £70 in, you might as well just brim it every time, as you can then properly track your mileage.

Yeah i run it on 95 is that a bad thing or just not good for the 1.8T ??

im on stock maf/injectors at the minute and when i do switch il be running it on super or what would you recommend is best ??

Fuel flap says use 98 for a reason :p 150hp 1.8T's have 95 on the flap, but the 180 got 98 on the flap due to the tune.

On the bodged maf/injectors super unleaded is a MUST, due to the load error meaning the ignition timing ends up pretty advanced.

On a standard engine it'll pull timing on 95 but not much on 98. On the bodged maf it pulls timing on 98, and i suspect 95 would be risking melting things.

Just checked it says 98/95 under that it says ron/roz, think il start using super then what do you guys recommend ??

I use VPower because thats whats nearby. I've used Tesco99 in the past and it works fine too, though i usually see a slight drop in MPG (presumably due to the higher ethanol content)

I've also used Sainsburys 97 as its near work, but i avoid putting that in the avant with the mafbodge and stick to the 99octane stuff due to the timing issues.

415 miles on 55litre tank from an A3 8p 1.8TFSI not being gentle on on the gas pedal

To manage 510miles, out of the 55ish litres of working volume the tank has, you'd need to be averaging 42mpg, and i'm really not sure how thats even possible!

I understand it's quite hard to believe but it managed it, like i said though, only just! I was reading 0 miles left in tank since other end of Arbroath which is around 20 miles but I was determined it would do it

Yeah TQS owners are a pretty bitey lot mate, don't provoke them...

My tank usually takes just over £80 which is around 58 litres of Vpower.

I normally get 330 miles as most of the time my car is in the town and the odd run on the motorway.

Most I have had is 480 miles and that was on a run from Edinburgh to Leeds and back. That was sitting between 50 and 60 and I was trying to see what mpg I could get plus I set off far earlier then I needed to so was going to be pointless arriving early. A lot of the way the gauge was reading 40mpg but it dipped a bit on the way back up north. It was quite interesting the number of times a car overtook and a bit later you would catch them up. I was very concious when overtaking lorries also as to not hold others up!

The lupo TDI I have been using recently gets the same 330 miles to a tank hammering around town but costs £38 to fill. Which is about 54mpg and I had over 70mpg on a run back from Newcastle sitting at 80mph.

mmmmm LPG is 112 RON and 70p a litre, no wonder mine is going like sink at the moment with the new pump :)

I'll report back when i've emptied this tank 40-ish litres.

While I've been off the LPG I've been running the Tesco 99 - with the 5p off a litre! Its poo on 95 Ron

Well i managed 314 before having to refuel to get on the M61/M60 probably would of got at least another 10 miles or so, works out @ 24.85MPG !!

thats horrific!

The avants WORST full tank consumption is around 24, and that was where the missus used the whole tank driving to and from her work 4 miles away, in the depths of winter, where its essentially always running on cold start.

Well i managed 314 before having to refuel to get on the M61/M60 probably would of got at least another 10 miles or so, works out @ 24.85MPG !!

sounds good to me....lol

only mega long sub 3k cruise controlled runs fair much better. though i have 550's in not the std 186's,lol

Surely thats exactly what it was though, his run to work down the motorway etc.

Doing what sounds like a similar journey my car happily does 32

atm mine is better than all of yours... it does zero miles, but uses the same amount of fuel,:respekt:

I am still agast that the one above does 42mpg, more than the MPG it was ever designed to do, i know people driving dervs that fail to get that

thats horrific!

The avants WORST full tank consumption is around 24, and that was where the missus used the whole tank driving to and from her work 4 miles away, in the depths of winter, where its essentially always running on cold start.

im also in traffic alot of the time, need to get 30 at least and i will be a bit more happier.

hopefully have a job close to home in the new year only 3 mile away, the plan is to maybe pedal to work and put some strength/life in the engine :)

Just checked on the sat nav from when I last used it which was when I picked the car up and started the journey at petrol station,

It was 483 miles from the petrol station I filled up at just outside Norwich, total from the train station to my house was 510, my mistake, even still I think it's quite impressive for a tqs avant with 175k on it

What is a bodgemaf?

best I've managed was 35mpg, then I get bored drive faster and get down to 29mpg... Whoops.

3" VR6 housing, bigger injectors and 3BAR FPR.

its a good way to get more hp with a hybrid turbo and without having a remap but needs to be run with super due to timing issues iirc !!

Had the car away for a run last week over the highlands, was taking it nice and easy and got 487 miles from the brim until it read 0 on the display, it's the first long run I've had with it since I bought it and I usually do short 5-10 mile runs at a time which gets me around 300-340 to the tank

Good going for a big heavy 4wd car in my opinion