Sky InsuranceChris Nott
    VW + Audi mad

Status

Battery compartment drain hole?

Have just been tinkering with the car this morning, went to disconnect battery and found there was a swimming pool in the chamber behind the engine bulkhead where the battery sits!
    I'm sure this wasn't there the last time I checked anything under the bonnet....
    Surely there must be a drain hole for this area as all the water that comes off the windscreen ultimately drains into this scuttle area?
    The only drainage I could find was a small grommet-lined hole approx 5mm across that had a battery breather pipe pushed through it (am not sure if this is factory correct as the battery is not original....) .
    On pulling the pipe out nearly all the water has now drained away, but as the hole is so small and sits above what looks like the clutch slave cylinder on the gearbox surely this cant be the only way out for water....?
    I did have a good look with a torch but couldn't see any other outlet for the water, I'd be grateful for any info as obviously in this weather I don't want this to continue.....

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

2. # ADS
    ADS

VW + Audi mad

Status

Re: Battery compartment drain hole?

Problem sorted [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
    Thought I 'd take battery out as I figured the lowest point of the scuttle area might be underneath there.......
    After removal of the battery tray it was apparent there is a big drain hole with a grommety thing that acts a bit like a one-way valve; except mine was full of black sludge and mold and was well and truly blocked.
    A quick clean of the grommet and eveything is now back as it should be.....so no more swimming pool [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img].

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

5th Gear

Status

Re: Battery compartment drain hole?

That's good to hear! I had the same issue with mine! After clearing all the gunk out hasn't blocked again for me!
    (knock on wood) hopefully it won't