Rclick key cutting?

Oranoco

Reaction score
Website
www.passionford.com
Ordered an Rclick kit and have to say the keys quality seems superb. Problem is when I took the keys in to my local Timpsons to get cut the chap flattly refused and said they would damage his machine or ruin my ignition and I would have to buy a replacement blank from him for £25. Can't say I'm too happy about shelling out for new blanks and binning a pair of new ones. Anybody heard of this?

Cheap chinese blades have a higher steel content hence so cheap. This makes the blade harder to cut. An automated key cutter will not hesitate to over work and snap on some chinese blades unless it has a 'hard cut' function.

If cutting them manually, the locksmith should have been happy to cut them, but you didnt buy them from him, so instead he has sold you his own blades.

I pay approx 2quid a blade, and 4.50-10 to cut to code depending on supplier. TBH sounds like you paid slightly over the top but if the jobs good its all good in the end.

Not had them done yet as I thought £25 was a bit hefty so wanted to ask here first. Think I'll be trying an alternative key place and see what they say. Just reluctant to skip a pair of brand new blades.

I found a guy on ebay that usually sells the blades cut from a photo, and sent him my RClick blades.

The RClick blade fitment is slightly different to the standard audi one, hence sending him my blanks!

Was only 5-10quid IIRC.

Yes sometimes the blades are different in aftermarket keys, carefull dremal action sorts this out. Advantages of cutting from a photo are that the key is cut to original factory spec, not a copy of a worn key.