Empty driveway!

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I've just dropped my car off at my local indie for service, MOT & some minor cosmetic stuff (front bumper respray & possibly the bonnet too). It's actually booked in for tomorrow, but I get an early train to London long before they open, so it's staying overnight.

To give them time to do the spray-work & let the paint cure, I probably won't get it back until Thursday. That's no hardship because unless a close family member dies before then, I've no plans to use it in the meantime.

It's just that the drive look so big, empty & lonely without it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Just think of how stunning its going to look in your drive, its a chance to clean up any oil marks, brake dust etc left of the drive while its off!! So it'll be clean when ya take some new pictures /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The bumper respray is a must, as I gouged it off a brick wall last year (about six weeks after having had it resprayed first time). The bonnet is just showing its age generally (7 years & 75,000miles worth of chips, nicks & scratches) so will only be done if the garage doesn't find any unexpected mechanical stuff that needs doing in addition to the service & MOT.

But if I get a call to say it needs pads, discs, exhaust or any of that stuff, the bonnet will stay as it is & the mechanicals will take priority.

she will be back soon, i have the same bonnet problem,white dots everywhere,lol.

I cheated for the bodykit and bought replacement bumpers so i dont have to do without,lol

My bonnets a different colour! Beat that..... How much is it costin u to have it done?

Mine seems more purple than blue.

[ QUOTE ]
My bonnets a different colour! Beat that..... How much is it costin u to have it done?

[/ QUOTE ]

The bumper is £140. They're phoning with a quote for the bonnet later today.

Update. Just had a call to say the car has passed the MOT. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

All they had to do was remove the blue side-light bulbs that I put in last week /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif & replace them with clears.

They also said that spraying the bonnet was too big a job for their faciltiies & that in all honesty, I'd probably be disappointed with the result. Fair do's to them for being up front about that. Anyway, I know a body shop just round the corner from them that can do it, if I decide to go ahead. Meanwhile, I know my garage will do a good job on the bumper, just like they did last year.

That double good news,
1. MOT Passed
2. Drive way won't be empty for long now either

Unlike our fellow members driving newer stock, I think for all of us on the B5 forum, passing the MOT is a big worry. Even relatively young cars can easily need major expenditure to get through, so that was a very welcome call, I can tell you.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah my MOT is next month, fingers crossed!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
yea mine too

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me know what you think about the finished result Jeff.

I need both the front and back doing - the back was hit in a car park whilst on holiday and the front was hit whilst parked up for work - no one taking responsibility /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif

I took the car to a shop who has done insurance work for me in the past - I trust their work but they want circa £450 for both!

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me know what you think about the finished result Jeff.

I need both the front and back doing - the back was hit in a car park whilst on holiday and the front was hit whilst parked up for work - no one taking responsibility /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif

I took the car to a shop who has done insurance work for me in the past - I trust their work but they want circa £450 for both!

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was pretty happy with the resuilt when they did it last year. On that occasion, they were getting rid of about six years' worth of chips, nicks & general road-scars. The finish was smooth & the colour match was good. Unfortunately, it was doomed from the start. Less than week after it was done, I was out on the M25 when I came up behind a snow gritter in full treatment mode. That blasted a fair chunk of "uncured" new paint off. Six weeks after that, I caught it on a low brick wall when parking in a confined space.

If they do as good a job this time, I'll be delighted. I'll also take better ****** care of it this time!

[ QUOTE ]
Jeff:

2.8 Quattro Tiptronic (1999 facelift) in Alu Silver, blue leather, cruise , parking sensors, Aero wipers, Alpine HU & Kenwood Dual-Mags.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff just noticed you have parking sensors are they OEM ones or aftermarket? also what are aero wipers?
cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Areo wipers are the 'blade' type wipers fitted to the more modern cars. You can buy a set from VagParts for about £50 plus VAT & P&P.

I've been meaning to upgrade for a while but life seems to throw other things to spend money on in my way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]
Areo wipers are the 'blade' type wipers fitted to the more modern cars. You can buy a set from VagParts for about £50 plus VAT & P&P.

[/ QUOTE ]

£50 plus VAT!!!!! flimey thats a lot for wipers must look and work really good??? for that kind of money... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

That is for new arms as well! so a bargain eh?

Jeff has had his on for atleast a year now, so he'll be well placed to comment on performance, especially with the weather we have had recently.

Kev.

I got the Aeros last year from VagParts. They're the business. The parking sensors aren't OEM. I got them from here :

Press for Linky

I got the rear-only set, with the audio/visual display panel. I got my local ICE dealer to fit them. The sensors were fitted into the black lower panel, rather than the bumper itself, so I didn't need to paint them. They attached the display to that stupid little mini-visor above the rear-view mirror. I'll do some pics & post them at the weekend, if you like.

[ QUOTE ]
I got the Aeros last year from VagParts. They're the business. The parking sensors aren't OEM.

I got the rear-only set, with the audio/visual display panel. I got my local ICE dealer to fit them. The sensors were fitted into the black lower panel, rather than the bumper itself, so I didn't need to paint them. They attached the display to that stupid little mini-visor above the rear-view mirror. I'll do some pics & post them at the weekend, if you like.

[/ QUOTE ]
yea that would be great hopefuly you will have your shiny car by then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
They're alot cheaper than I expected!

What was the installation cost?

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're cheaper now than when I bought them. I think I paid about £38. Also, they've changed the design of the display panel.

IIRC, I paid about £85, which was two hours' labour, but that also included hard-wiring my Road Angel, which prob took about half an hour. The intsal would be a lot more expensive if you had the sensors fitted to the main part of the bumper. By putting them in the lower panel, the bumper didn't need to be removed. Saved a lot of labour time.

So, it's Thursday, but my driveway is still empty. The car needed a new driver's door interior handle assembly, which they ordered yesterday & was delivered today.

The garage phoned as I was walking home from the station just after 5pm tonight. The car is all finished, but they asked if they could keep it in an extra night, so they can prepare all the paperwork at their leisure in the morning, rather than rush it through tonight. They said they also want to wash & vacuum it for me.

That was one of the easier decisions I will ever make. An extra night under lock and key instead of on the driveway, plus it's an extra night indoors for the new paintwork to harden.

Once it's home, I'll take new pics of the parking sensors & post 'em up, probably on Saturday.

look foward to them jeff and hey it will all nice and clean as well for those pics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif