Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By B5NUT
  • 1 Post By jbh

Thread: Just another noob question thread ;-) was suspension, now sounds

Reverse Gear

Status

Just another noob question thread ;-) was suspension, now sounds

Such as here.

£99 for the front end rods and bushes etc. I've heard it suggested that the front end needs redoing every 50K or so the thought of £400+ every 4 years vs £99 every 4 is relevant. even if its every 2, that's still half price!

n.b. mines a 99T, part facelift 2.5Tdi Q Avant on 165K, so this *may* be its last set :-( though the interior is holding up!

mjcp
    Last edited by mjcp; 1st November 2013 at 20:32.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    The £99 kits will last about 6 months if that, designed for people selling their car with knacker suspension.

My meyle kit (£320 ish)has so far seen 60K miles and still going strong, will replace at around 80-100K or when they start knocking
    ScottD3 and PAULF like this.

6th Gear

Status
    Utter crap, Lemforder or Meyele are the only arms to fit. Everything else you might as well buy and drop straight in the skip before fitting them. All pattern arms I have seen have had poor ball joints and **** bushes. Pay once and buy right.
    Last edited by Oranoco; 1st November 2013 at 10:10.

Life begins at 140mph
    Sell my Audi??? Kiss my rings!
    www.passionford.com

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    As above.

My stock Audi arms lasted 140k and 13 years, i just changed them a few weeks ago.

Meyle gives you a four year warranty, and while they might not last 140k, they're sure to last a decent amount of time before they kick the bucket.

When i got my first A4 many years ago, i did what you proposed and bought a set from ebay for £99. Fitted them and the car was miles better and i was happy, for about 2-3 months. Then the creaking started, then after a while, knocking. It went thru an MOT about 4 months after i fitted them, and the guy said "theres a bit of play in those front arms, but you'll get another year out of them..." then about 2 months after that i had a horrible steering vibration and on inspection the insides of both front tyres were completely scrubbed away. After 6 months the arms had more play in them than the original audi ones i'd binned, and the £99 bargain had just cost me two front tyres. A set of Meyle arms and some new front tyres later i had a working car again.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Reverse Gear

Status
    Ok, so no to £99 suspension, yes to quality parts. Check!

Now, next question...

Did my first 100 mile day today, I noticed after one leg, I thought I heard a slight hissing sound after I got out of the car. tonight after the last leg, I noticed it again, It seemed to be coming from the top of the bonnet, in the empty gap by the battery, drivers side. But by the time I got the torch (iPhone) and the bonnet open, not a sound save the normal ticking of the engine.

edit: Water temp is static at 90C, no higher, takes 2 miles to get there from cold. Oil temp is 80C, no higher. No warnings on dash re temps or levels.

Any ideas?

Also, picked up an ISO audio loom to get the rear speakers working, was offered two options for my "half BOSE" car (that's the description the audio guys used): RCA version and high level version. their recommendation was the high level version - better sound quality and less risk of hum than the RCA version (and a £10er difference). It worked!

mjcp
    Last edited by mjcp; 1st November 2013 at 21:06.

jbh
    TDi lover

Status
    I bought a set of arms from ebay a few years back for my old 110 sport passat wagon. it got used daily and covered 20k within 18 month on the arms without any problems. but then It was the £150 set I bought not the £99
    ruairi83 likes this.
    1997 A4 Avant 110 TDi quattro
    1996 A4 Avant 110 TDi breaking

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    hissing is normal i'ts aircon pressure at the orifice tube

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    As above hissing is the Aircon, but i find it odd that the AC will be running in this weather!!

jbh: its hit and miss. Quality control is non-existant, so i guess you can get lucky, or really unlucky like me!

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

jbh
    TDi lover

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    jbh: its hit and miss. Quality control is non-existant, so i guess you can get lucky, or really unlucky like me!
    I have seen some new suspension parts that are really shocking so yea I know what you're saying it can be a hit or a miss.
    Im half tempted to take the gamble again as after changing the shockies on my car the coilovers have tore hell out all the front arms. and at the moment I cant justify spending £400 on the car this side of the new year.
    again though Ill go for the £150 set and buy them from the same seller as last time so hopefully ill be safe. ( IIRC he offered a 2 year warranty )
    1997 A4 Avant 110 TDi quattro
    1996 A4 Avant 110 TDi breaking

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for all the help everyone! I don't recall the A/C being on but I may have hit auto and forgot the Econ button (doh!)

I shall be doing the Mr Muscle turbo clean on Sunday as I suspect there may be some clag in it... There is lots of get up and go at low revs but tails off at 2K, no limp mode though. but plenty of smoke on quick pull aways but not much at speed or normal pull away. non after overrun either.

mjcp

1st Gear

Status
    I'm looking for recommendations for Arms on my 2.5 Tdi B5.
    I only do about 6000 miles per year, (this is a NON recommendation!!) needed arms for MOT, decided to get a full kit, off to motor factors, pick up Delphi arms kit, take the car for MOT, pass.
    3000 miles later I start to hear knocking, was bad by the time MOT comes around, so got full new set on warranty, goes for MOT and passes.
    3000 miles later, guess what??

I'm going to look into Meyle arms now, cheers