Winding the clock forward!

B5NUT

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Got a facelift B5 and around 7 years ago someone wiped around 70K miles off the clock! now when I got this car a couple of years ago, this was already told by the seller and an quick check with VCDS confirmed the mileage was as the seller described. What I what to do is put the mileage back to the correct value, Is there any in the northeast of England who can do this, or is there a cheap reliable device I can buy that could do the job, as won't brick my cluster.

Please PM me if you know of any devices, as I don't want this to to into a how to wind your car back thread.

On a side note I have been looking around for an A3 or A4 TDi Quattro, and out of the ones I seen so far around 40% have been clocked, it just shocking how wide spread this is, and some as little as 10K miles. The dealers/sellers are not happy when you tell them the news! I would never buy a VAG car without VCDS it's well worth the money, if your in the market for a used VAG motor.

Vagtacho will do it no probs. I've used a cheap ebay clone to adjust clocks in both directions when swapping them into other cars.

I think its a TDI thing, A lot have done BIG mileages, and there comes a point in the middle of the cars life when prospective buyers are put off by big numbers, so unscrupulous dealers will wind the clock back to hide it. The computerised MOT database has helped reduce a lot of it, as you can view all the MOT's back to 2005 or whatever.

If folk werent to scared of a few digits on the dashboard, it wouldnt happen, but many people still think that once a car hits 100k its had it, and 150 or 200k would be befitting of a complete jalopy. Both my cars are on 140-150ish, and to me thats not "high" mileage, its just normal/average for a 13 year old car. Mums A4 is on 205k, at thats "high" mileage, but its also had most of the consumable parts replaced so its probably in better nick than many 130 or 140k cars on original everything...

Reactions: PAULF
Yer, the problem is with the MOT & service is people are winding the clock back before, so you never 100% the that car has been clocked. I'm not that bothered about the miles 100 -150K would be fine but quattro models are hard to find in the north east for some reason. My A4 currently has 210 on the clock but has actually done 280K, and like you have have replaced almost all of the consumable parts, just the engine & gearbox which has had no work (other than a head gasket)

With the 300K coming up I was thinking about stripping the engine down next year and replace all the bearing & oil seals. Was even thinking about having the gear box overhauled and checked over.

The way I look at it even if I spend 1K on the car each year, what can I buy for that, even if buy something on finance. My car is payed for, so I'm not paying any interest payment, the body work is still in very good condition. Also as I do around 25K miles a year the A4 is deprecated as much as it's ever going to go. No one is really going to buy a car with 300K on the clock!

How do you tell if it's been clocked with vag com is the true value in there?