engine intermittently cuts out

Topplumb1

Reaction score
A4 1999 1.8tqs B5.
So engine starts and runs fine, accelerates in all gears right through the rev range without any misfires or odd sounds, only seems to happen when slowing down and clutch is depressed to change down into 4th, after driving in 5th for some distance with rev counter around 3000 - 4000, rev counter drops instantly to zero and battery light illuminates, just as if you turn off the ignition. Let the clutch back up and still in gear and the engine fires straight back into life obviously because of the momentum. Any other time the engine is fine and idles at 950 without any irregular movement showing on rev counter, any one else ever encounter this problem ? And what should I be looking for ? It does not always happen - but annoying when it does ! If I repeat the process it does not happen :uhm:

ignition switch perhaps. Given rev needle drops instantly like engine has been shut off. I guess the crank sensor could be failing, that's the feed to the ecu for revs and then ecu sends feed to dash.. Hmmm VCDS FTMFW

Byzan .........can you tell me what FTMFW stands for - as I haven't got a clue !!