Rear Tracking

dublinS4

Reaction score
Dropped the S4 in for 4 wheel alignment the other day.. They couldnt adjust the rear camber. Said the bolts were running freely on one of the arms used to adjust the camber.. Tow was fine. They told me i have to replace the rear arm... Question is what one???
Any help would be great lads

As you would have it - my 2.5 quattro avant has had the same thing done recently Rear tyres were wearing on the inside tread. Mechanic said rear toe adjustment was seized. However I'm £380 poorer as a result. Told the mechanic that it wasn't essential to fit Audi parts (car on 152k) and parts cost £190! I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Reactions: dublinS4
Your description of the fault doesnt really make any sense.

The camber is set by an eccentric bolt in the lower wishbone. Not sure how this could fail?

Your description of the fault doesnt really make any sense.

The camber is set by an eccentric bolt in the lower wishbone. Not sure how this could fail?
Just relaying what this fella said to me.. What do i need to replace if my rear camber cant be adjusted?

I really cant say without seeing it?

It could be that the bolt is siezed?

I guess it might be possible that the channel the eccentric washer sits in has somehow worn away or come off, but it seems unlikely. Can you take a photo of the lower wishbone in question?

I think i have a spare pair of wishbones in the garage if you need them. You might want to take the opportunity to fit new bushes into them though.

I had a the washer on the bolt bend outward when they tried to adjust it, and on a new Audi supplied washer the tag snapped off.

The camber is on the lower wishbone, easily seen looking under the brake caliper area.
I had a problem with my toe setting - on both cars the bolts were seized solid and took a lot of work to replace (See here)

It is well worth dong properly - the difference can be amazing.

My new rear arms. Judging by the labour charge - it was a pig of a job.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 317
Where did you buy them and what was the cost of the arms?

Where did you buy them and what was the cost of the arms?

Mechanic would have ordered them from trade supplier, (they're Delphi). They were eye-watering £120, eccentric bolts and washers just under £20, plus re-alignment £40, plus labour.

Try All German Parts.

I did all of my bits on both cars using Meyle/Lemforder but can't tell you the price as I got front and rear arms and bushes!.