Audi A4 1.8 20v B5 (Non-Turbo) Advice Please

C13GGR

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm after a new motor and seen a Audi A4 1.8 20v B5 (Non-Turbo) Avant near me 134k on a 2000 W for £600 with 10months test & 4 months tax.

I want advice on what to look out for really any specifics with this model? I've asked the owner if its had a timing belt change and he said he's not sure (I'm assuming its had one) but probs due a 2nd one ... what's the interval on these engines? also he mentioned the brake pad warning light ha come on dash but its had new pads 2 months ago and passed m.o.t since could it be just a sensor or something else?

If anyone can help I would be much appreciated

Cheers
Ross.

belt interval is 60k or 5 years, so its most likely well overdue.

Belt kit is about £100, so not too bad.

Pad warning light is probably just a broken wire, or they've used pads without sensors, its easy enough to bridge the wire and turn the warning off. It shouldnt have passed the MOT with the light on though, thats now a fail, which makes you wonder if they've ignored any other issues...

Main issues these cars have is the front control arms wearing out. They last well, but by 13 years old and 130k, they'll be well knackered if they havent already been changed, and replacing them with cheap ones is false economy as they dont last.

Turbo models tend to have sludge issues with poor servicing, but i dont think the NA versions suffer the same.

I would say though that in general, the 1.8NA isnt a great choice. Its a bit underpowered, and really needs revved to get the power out of it. You'd be better off with the diesel models if your looking for a car in that performance bracket, as while the diesel isnt likely to be any faster, the powers easier to access and it'll make it feel a lot more lively.

Cheers for reply.. Within my budget the diesels are V.high milers 200k+ ... ive drove a Passat 1.8 20v Passat that was ok I'm used to driving a Corolla 2.0d N/A 71bhp :wacko: So this will be like an rocket compared lol

Aye fair enough, i guess its what your used to. I drove a 1.8 Vectra and was amazed by how slow it seemed, whereas most TDI's feel nice and willing all the time, even if they arent outright fast.

But yes, after a 71hp corolla deisel it should feel alright.

Its just a decent run around really with a bit comfort my partner is 4 days overdue with our first baby and my Carolla is getting a bit tired needs too many things doing new cv joint PS pump etc.. .. so I plan to mod the Audi new alloys etc after doing the little niggly jobs it needs unless anything bigger needs done (which I hope not lol).. but not fussed on engine mods unless it was a Turbo.

If I buy it ill post some pics on here Thanks

Just a quick one... im reading on some forums the the MPG on a 1.8 20v n/a is shocking around 29-30mpg !!! Surely that cannot be right i can understand if its not maintained but crikey thats harsh.

if you get 35 your doing well i'd have thought.

Its a petrol engine in a fairly big car, what do you expect!?

The diesel models will do 45-50.

Depends entirely on your driving as well, if its lots of long motorway trips mid 30's shuldnt be too hard, but all short runs from cold and you'll struggle to get it over 30.

I expected around 38ish probs but im used to a N/A diesel that averages 45-50 mpg :salute: Ill have to way up my options if it needs a timingbelt walter pump etc.. plus anything else and averages just over 30mpg when i do 35 mles a day to work and back ...

I bought a 1.8t 1998 Passat just as a fill in a year and a bit ago - it's a lovely car in spite of its age - but it is noticeably bigger and heavier than my lad''s old a4 1.8t and so does use more fuel around town - on the motorway it will do a genuine 40 mpg when hypermiling