Strange noise 2,8 quattro

Nitro

Reaction score
There is now a noise from the rear of my car when i break you can hear a repeating noise from the rear. Also when you turn to the left round corners the same type noise can be heard. Can't hear it in straight line when going along, but can year it faintly when turning to the right or loudly when going to the left. Is it wheel bearings or something else. The rear discs are passed their best but the pads are ok. Is it discs or wheel bearing or both.

Thanks for any advise guys

If its when braking then it will be brake related check the back plate and pads try greasing the pads and check the pad springs and also check for any play in the wheel bearings or any foriegn objects near the back plate or in around the caliper/carrier !!

Also if the disc are corroded and lipped check its not catching the pad backplate if the pads are quite low

I had this problem on my quattro, turntable out to be a mix of warped disks and sticker callipers,

Yeah, if the wheel bearing is hanging off, when you press the brakes, the first thing that has to happen is the disc needs to be pulled straight, that could lead to a noise. Jack it up safely and have a peak

Thanks guys, how easy or hard is it to change rear discs on a quattro? Fronts are simple, never done rears on a Q.
If it is rear wheel bearings how are they? Can it be done at home or do i need a press etc?

cheers

Rears are fairly easy, you will have to remove the caliper carrier to get the disc free and you will need a wind back tool to push the caliper back, or if you dont have one sometimes depending how seized the caliper is you can use long nose pliers and push the piston whilst turning it the correct way !

Thanks for this, which way is the correct way to turn the caliper back? (anti-clockwise) is what I would guess.

Ok what is the wind back tool called where do you buy it from and how much is it? My f*@king car is on blocks and unable to move now. (the pistons turn but do not go back - are they shagged?)

No you just need to apply more pressure/force make sure its going the right way, which is clockwise !!

Thanks for all the advice guys, went to Machine mart purchased the wind back tool and did the job easy. The noise was shagged disks and pads. Cheers

Reactions: rustynlc
Thanks for all the advice guys, went to Machine mart purchased the wind back tool and did the job easy. The noise was shagged disks and pads. Cheers

glad you sorted it mate, it's surprising how much noise shaved disks make :)