Chris NottJMB Retrofits
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nitro

Thread: Strange noise 2,8 quattro

1st Gear

Status

Strange noise 2,8 quattro

There is now a noise from the rear of my car when i break you can hear a repeating noise from the rear. Also when you turn to the left round corners the same type noise can be heard. Can't hear it in straight line when going along, but can year it faintly when turning to the right or loudly when going to the left. Is it wheel bearings or something else. The rear discs are passed their best but the pads are ok. Is it discs or wheel bearing or both.

Thanks for any advise guys

2. # ADS
    ADS

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

Status
    If its when braking then it will be brake related check the back plate and pads try greasing the pads and check the pad springs and also check for any play in the wheel bearings or any foriegn objects near the back plate or in around the caliper/carrier !!

Also if the disc are corroded and lipped check its not catching the pad backplate if the pads are quite low
    1999 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport - Volcano Black

Mods - Frankenturbo F21 Kit - 3" MAF - Saab Reds - THS Decat - Non Res Milltek - ECS Crank Pulley - 034 Snub + Bracket/Gbox Mounts - 1Z/S2 Clutch + Flywheel - 007p - ICM + EVAP Delete - PFR6Q Plugs - S4 B6 345mm Brakes - 300mm Rear Brakes - Goodridge Hoses - LCR Splitter -S4 Bumbers + Skirts/Mouldings - OEM Xenons - Apikol Diff mounts - Polytek'd Rear Diff Mount
    To do/planned -Eibach pro's - GT2871/76R + FMIC + ME7 (maybe) + Engine/stroker Build

1st Gear

Status
    I had this problem on my quattro, turntable out to be a mix of warped disks and sticker callipers,

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    The fact it changes when you turn suggests theres wheel bearing involvement to me.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Yeah, if the wheel bearing is hanging off, when you press the brakes, the first thing that has to happen is the disc needs to be pulled straight, that could lead to a noise. Jack it up safely and have a peak

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks guys, how easy or hard is it to change rear discs on a quattro? Fronts are simple, never done rears on a Q.
    If it is rear wheel bearings how are they? Can it be done at home or do i need a press etc?

cheers

Status
    Rears are fairly easy, you will have to remove the caliper carrier to get the disc free and you will need a wind back tool to push the caliper back, or if you dont have one sometimes depending how seized the caliper is you can use long nose pliers and push the piston whilst turning it the correct way !

Mods - Frankenturbo F21 Kit - 3" MAF - Saab Reds - THS Decat - Non Res Milltek - ECS Crank Pulley - 034 Snub + Bracket/Gbox Mounts - 1Z/S2 Clutch + Flywheel - 007p - ICM + EVAP Delete - PFR6Q Plugs - S4 B6 345mm Brakes - 300mm Rear Brakes - Goodridge Hoses - LCR Splitter -S4 Bumbers + Skirts/Mouldings - OEM Xenons - Apikol Diff mounts - Polytek'd Rear Diff Mount
    To do/planned -Eibach pro's - GT2871/76R + FMIC + ME7 (maybe) + Engine/stroker Build

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks for this, which way is the correct way to turn the caliper back? (anti-clockwise) is what I would guess.

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Clockwise i think. Just imagine your using a screwdriver and are trying to screw it in.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

1st Gear

Status
    Ok what is the wind back tool called where do you buy it from and how much is it? My f*@king car is on blocks and unable to move now. (the pistons turn but do not go back - are they shagged?)

Status
    No you just need to apply more pressure/force make sure its going the right way, which is clockwise !!

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks for all the advice guys, went to Machine mart purchased the wind back tool and did the job easy. The noise was shagged disks and pads. Cheers
    rustynlc likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
    Thanks for all the advice guys, went to Machine mart purchased the wind back tool and did the job easy. The noise was shagged disks and pads. Cheers
    glad you sorted it mate, it's surprising how much noise shaved disks make