Anyone experience this ??

Bradderz_1988

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!
Reaction score
Ive wondered for a while what this could be but never really done anything with it

From Cold (morning)

AB3CFD32-48AF-428C-90F0-ADC2E73D9C99-1775-000001D796326EB6_zps49a53c9b.jpg

Hot (arrived at work) how i want it all the time lol

7E6B4E98-1157-4CCE-86DC-54D9F922BCC4-1775-000001D79E1A7A45_zps0a92d704.jpg

any suggestions ???

Could be the flexi joint allowing the system to move towards the rear when it gets hot and pulling it back when it cools. Mines past its best with some play in it but ive not noticed this, i,ll have a look this evening. When is the new turbo going in ?

is this a spot the difference picture set?
are both they pictures took in the same place or did you take the leaves with you?

metal expands when its hot so giving the length of a system there will be a slight difference in how far it will stick out.
Im pretty surprised it as noticeable tbh but as said above it could be the flexi.

Im sure I used to notice a difference with my old 325i but always thought I was imagining it.

Reactions: Bradderz_1988
The exhaust moved out.

Its a feature of Milteck I think.
I've read about the S3/A3 lads having it happens.

metal gets hot and it expands.

Yeh, the problem is that its an A4 system on an S4 rear bumper.

My stock TQS system sits all sunken in as well on the S4 rear.

The "poke" once hot is due to expansion over the length of the stainless steel pipe. Seems common with milteks, not sure if its common to all exhausts.

is this a spot the difference picture set?
are both they pictures took in the same place or did you take the leaves with you?

metal expands when its hot so giving the length of a system there will be a slight difference in how far it will stick out.
Im pretty surprised it as noticeable tbh but as said above it could be the flexi.

Im sure I used to notice a difference with my old 325i but always thought I was imagining it.

it is taken in the same place yes, but just used the 'get to work' as a example after doing 25 mile round the m60 to get to work as thats when i notice it most !

if its a Milltek feature il leave it be then :)

Could be the flexi joint allowing the system to move towards the rear when it gets hot and pulling it back when it cools. Mines past its best with some play in it but ive not noticed this, i,ll have a look this evening. When is the new turbo going in ?

turbo is going on in the new year when ive sourced some injectors, maf housing and 3 bar fpr as it will be due oil and filter too !!

I'll do a before and after on mine if you like (Milltek also) tonight on my way home from work.

Finally managed to get a pic of this today. First is when I arrived, so hot. Second is when I went home, so obviously cold. Looks about a similar amount of movement to yours? It's hard to get exactly the same angle, but I tried my best. I don't think I'd have ever noticed it had you not made this thread though.

20131009_080141_zpsf4c14e3c.jpg

20131009_165707_zpsf5c19235.jpg

Certainly looks similar to mine must be due to the flexi or some pipe expanding minions lol