Seat belt mechanism

B5NUT

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
One of the minor faults on my car is the drivers side seat belt mechanism, you can put the belt on without any problem, but it's not winding the belt back very well, sometime it's just about winds back the belt, other times you have to feed it back in. Am I looking at a replacement unit or does it just need a dam good cleaning.

replacement, the spring is weak due to it having been extended for a long time during high miles. Mine a 165 K is slow whereas the wifes belt retracts no problem and her car is just on 120K now

I've got another 100K on that mileage so I guess it's replacement time.. but at £170 notes from Audi it can wait a little longer.

prob find a better used one. I have heard of people dismantling them and rewinding the spring, but given it's a safety feature i'm not so sure myself...

No don't fancy that either, just wondered if it was just a dirt build up. But if the mechanism is on the way out then I'll have to replace it.

Sure its the spring and not something along the track causing it to go slow?

My drivers one is slow but if you angle it right it goes back fine.
My old man had the same issue with his Touareg, VW looked at it and they did something and it works great now.