thinking about changing cars

bengie

Reaction score
i currently drive a skoda octavia 4x4 estate with a few mods running about 230bhp and i have recently thought about sticking a big turbo on it to see me at mid 300's.

the turbo conversion is £4200 all in(turbo, manifold, injectors, rods, pistons, valves, maf, fitting and mapping) and the transmission work to take the power will be around £1500 or so.

basically i am looking at spending around 6 grand to get a reliable 330bhp from my current car and spend a load on insurance.

then i realised that i could buy a 1999 S4 for 9k, get remapped for around £600 which according to revo would give me ~ 315bhp and 365lbft

i've had insurance quotes and the re-mapped S4 is £100 cheaper than my car is currently to insure(big brakes, wheel, remap, fmic, coil overs, turbo back system, CAI etc) and that is only going to rocket up after sticking a big turbo on it.

so i've pretty much made my decision but what i would like to know is what is an S4 like to live with? what do they handle like as standard?

any help gratefully recieved /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

have a look at the post with scoTTy's video's in. They should give you a few ideas on the handling...overall an understeering beast, but as 99% of audi's understeer your not left with much of a choice.

still a beast though. I'd love one, just for the sound of the v8 babble, but i'll be keeping my s3 for a while....

hang on, have i got the wrong area, i'm looking at the 2.7TT S4 not the 4.2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ahh the S4 TT now you’re talking.

The S4 a great car but like most it does have its quirks.

If I were you I would go S4 if you don't mind the extra petrol bill and the higher running cost but mind you with the mod's you have in mind for the Skoda fuel would be around the same.

The S4 would give you more options in the long run and could be made to perform as well as an RS4 or better depending on where you want to stop.

the only question i have at te moment is down to handling, how bad are they compared to a 1.8T golf based chassis?

The Golf’s are very good nippy buggers but they have problems laying down the power if not fitted with ESP and with tuning even worse.

The Audi with it's Quattro would be the better handler all year round by far and would be able to handle what ever power mods you intend to fit and put it all on the tarmac unlike the Golf which would require on and off the throttle all the time if driven hard.

So if you want something to track day from time to time in good weather then the Golf will out perform the heavier S4 but if you want something that is a good all rounder (we are only raking hander ling with the same power outputs) what ever the weather then the S4 is going to be the better car for sure.

the octavia i currenty drive is a 4x4 so has the same quattro as the TT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

turns out i'm looking at a bit less to get the transmission work done as i can get the prop for about £150 and the gearbox from a 6 speed TT for about £150. other than that i would also need the TT shafts and get the prop mod'd by a proper company so it fits properly length wise(octavia is a touch longer).

still unsure on what i want to do.

[ QUOTE ]
then i realised that i could buy a 1999 S4 for 9k, get remapped for around £600 which according to revo would give me ~ 315bhp and 365lbft

[/ QUOTE ]

I opted for AMD which gave me 323bhp and 400lbft.
On the question of handling, the standard setup is lousey. It feels very floaty & not what you would expect from such a car.