How to te activate key

Gunny110

Reaction score
Lads, I've just replaced the batteries in my key fob, and now the central locking will not work. I do not have the spare key. Question is, is there a way of doing it with just the one key?

Hi bud, thanks for the reply, I'm in Truro Cornwall. I don't have a spare which sucks!! And no doubt vag will ask a fortune. Would any spar vag key do? If so il just go robbing from the scrappy?

Unlock car with the key in the door, put the key in the ignition but don't start it then hold the lock or unlock button for a few seconds. That's how mine pairs back up anyway.

Iirc you unlock the car with key put ignition on, press and hold lock button then press the lock button on the drivers door the press the unlock on the fob and it should work the central locking !!

Iirc you unlock the car with key put ignition on, press and hold lock button then press the lock button on the drivers door the press the unlock on the fob and it should work the central locking !!

Haven't heard that and I work for Audi! We advise the ignition procedure, the one you described I believe works if you have 2 keys in the absense of VCDS/5051. The ignition process is for older keys and only works with some flip keys I believe.

Theres two different procedures here.

One resynchronises a KNOWN key to the car, for example after a battery change.

The other pairs an UNKNOWN key to the car.

the procedure for a known key is:
[h=3]Remote Control Synchronization[/h]
  • Press any button on remote control.
If vehicle does not respond by locking or unlocking:

• Lock and unlock vehicle within 30 seconds using driver-side lock.
  • Now check function of synchronized remote control.

I'm close, when I do the 2 key method, I take the key out of the drivers door and the fob then unlockes the car, but does not then lock nor unlock it after taking the other key out the ignition?

You dont need a key in the ignition to rematch a paired key.

That rosstech link discusses pairing up new or unknown keys, it shouldnt be required after a battery swap on an already known key.

The key is already known but the car, I just need it re syncing. As said I got the fob to unlock the car with the 2 key method, however that is as far as I got and the fob wouldn't work again