Car : A4 B5 1.8tqs Dec 1999,
Here's the story,
- Engine rattle from the top part of the cam cover, on investigation thought I had pin pointed the problem after questions on here and suggestions from various people - so I changed the cam chain tensioner, still had the same rattle when the engine was started.
- After more questions and more suggestions from people, did engine flushes and oil changes, still the same rattle. Reading lots of posts on here it had to be the oil pump or water pump.
- Drained oil and coolant, sub frame dropped and sump off, oil pump removed with pick up pipe, pick up was slightly blocked with yellow bits from when the dip stick holder sleeve broke one day last year.New pump and pick up pipe fitted.
- Further dismantling of belts to gain access to coolant pump, complete body and housing removed and new coolant pump fitted with metal impellar - the old one was plastic.
- Reassembled all parts, filled with oil 5w 40 fully synthetic new larger oil filter, filled with orange coolant, started engine still same rattle.
- On further investigation, came to the conclusion the rattle was coming from the throttle valve control element on the inlet manifold, so unscrewed it and took it off, completely cleaned it, examined it, and.......gave it a shaking - hey presto it rattled just like when it was attached to the inlet manifold !!!
- Reassembled and did throttle body reset via vcds - worked well but still rattles.
- Does anyone know if when you unscrew the black plastic case on the side of it, what is inside ? As that is where the rattle is coming from - Audi want £566.42 for a new part that matches 058 133 063 Q -or you can get them on ebay for £30-£40 quid !!!
- So what are my options here people ? DO I DARE dismantle it and hope that springs don't fly out everywhere, or just buy one off ebay and hope that it stops that annoying rattle ? I feel like I am banging my head against the house wall Has anyone else had this problem with the throttle valve control element ?