Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By aragorn

Thread: What way to turn

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add scr8pdo on Google+

What way to turn

The bloke with that other car seemes like a total messer and a no go so anyway I charged my battery up, felt inside the tubo, pulled out a bent I assume pulley shaft and could feel the compressor wheel chewed up to FOOK! so god knows whats been sucked through into my engine, then I think what have I got to lose and turn the key... It STARTS! but its banging and rattling dunno if its even running on 4 so what do I do?I need an engine and turbo, do I source one whole car being broke or go and buy a decent engine and turbo from a breakers or do any of you lot have an AFN lump and or a turbo for a sensible ammount of wonga? I know I wont get both turbo and lump for the cash I have spare at the moment (big bills month) but Ive got a spare £300 so far and Iam gonna start looking about for a lump a whole spares/repairs car may work out cheaper I got trade insrance so may go down that root but if anyone can help let us know kind regards Steve

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add scr8pdo on Google+
    The bloody plot thickens as I was typing a minute ago my Mrs decides to try this bloke on the phone again only this time he answers, he tells her he has been involved in an accident and written his truck off, and only just sorted his mobile number out after smashing his phone, who effin knows, anyway he rekons I will get the car tonight or in the morning, I dont believe him myself but dont wanna go buying bloody engines and he DOES turn up so gonna leave it til tomorrow night, ring story teller again, any more bull or excuses Il move on WHY OH WHY do people feel the need to fookin lie, I think he was just after my truck to be honest, all this on my birthday too
    Last edited by scr8pdo; 25th September 2013 at 15:17.

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Why are you still even chasing this guy? Hes clearly a chump.

Did you block the oil feed line and disconnect the inlet like i said? The turbo will no doubt rattle, the one on the bora sounded like a bag of nails, but if the engine itself is knocking then its fubar.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

6th Gear

Status
    The engine has bent rods mate, don't start it anymore as you might still retain a few bits out of it ! As i said i have a good working engine, there's no turbo on it though but you can pick a good pd130 turbo for £150... You will need to come to london to collect or look for an engine in the breakers- slim chances of finding a low mileage as most are over 150k ! Mine is about 100k on the clock so it's in good nick...
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add scr8pdo on Google+
    yep did as you said, turbo rattled engine knocking, but i rekon some parts of the turbo have sucked uo into the cylinders scorig/breaking rings cause there is so so much back pressure blowing hard out the oil catch tank so yep its FUBAR alright

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add scr8pdo on Google+
    My dad lives in London and got a big ol Omega estate so could poss collect just let me know a price if you go on face book my name is Steve roger and a Smurf as the picture lol if not let me know and Il get you a phone number

PS: is this an AFN lump as if not wont i have trouble with loom pipe connections etc????

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    The bora didnt injest anything, it all got caught in the intercooler.

The bora was also blowing out the breather, but that was due to the turbo back pressure feeding thru the oil drain into the sump and up thru the crankcase.

I suspect though you've munched a bearing from running it with no oil. The bora was shut off within about 30meters of it blowing the turbo, which is likely why it survived!

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add scr8pdo on Google+
    What do people thinks wrong with this, Spares or repairs A4 1.9 TDI taxed motd fuel probs eng box etc a1 not running | eBay I would have whatever is needed left on mine its just the mileage is almost identical ??
    Last edited by scr8pdo; 25th September 2013 at 16:43.

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add scr8pdo on Google+

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add scr8pdo on Google+
    Can anyone confirm this is a AFN lump????
    :/

AUDI A4 1.9 TDI BARE ENGINE WITH TURBO 1996-2000 | eBay
    Last edited by scr8pdo; 25th September 2013 at 17:21.

jbh
    TDi lover

Status
    if its a 110bhp it will be the AFN engine.

as for whats wrong with it...... my crystal balls aren't working

but if I was looking at it and if its running on easy start but not getting fuel up I would check the fuel lines. fuel filter. then move on to looking at the pump.
    you would have the parts on youre car to get this running and its still has MOT till may next year.. and taxed to the end of this year.. its a no brainer if its going to be fairly easy for you to collect it.
    and it looks alright in the pictures. if it was north of the border I would be tempted my self.

EDIT after looking at that again if it was about 100 miles north I would go for it.. AA recovery home..
    Last edited by jbh; 25th September 2013 at 17:18.
    1997 A4 Avant 110 TDi quattro
    1996 A4 Avant 110 TDi breaking

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add scr8pdo on Google+
    I dont know but have these got like an electric lift pump or just the high pressure mechanical one? or a bump sensor so that in a crash would shut off power to electric lift pump, see I not too familiar with them but had this problem on other cars

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    no lift pump afaik. Could be anything from a faulty stop solenoid to a buggered pump or ECU.

jbh
    TDi lover

Status
    they don't have a lift pump. and pretty sure they don't have a knock sensor.

Ive seen them stop running for blocked or split fuel lines, gummed up fuel filters or even the base plate that the filter screws onto being faulty. seals can go in pumps and stop them drawing fuel up. I would start at the back and work my way forward..

Pull the sender unit and pick up out the tank make sure the gauze in there isint chocked.
    take the feed pipe off the filter and blow air through the fuel line. this will check if its blocked or split.
    check the filter and housing. even swap it over with the one off you're own car.
    use a vacuum pump to pull the fuel up from the tank through the filter to the pump. ( this way you know there's fuel there. )
    crank it over with an injector pipe cracked open and see if there's a spray of fuel.
    if you're getting fuel there and still not starting it could possibly be the injectors
    ( strange for all 4 to go at once but if its been run on crap fuel you never know )
    again you could put you're ones in as they were known to be good.
    If you're not getting fuel up to the injectors it leaves the pump.
    change it over with yours.
    sometimes you can also get fuel at the injectors but if theirs not enough pressure they wont open.
    which again could be down to the pump.

also worth checking the air intake for blockages. I was recently out at a diesel mariva that wouldn't start. I removed the air filter and it fired straight up!!
    the filter was chocked solid.. the boy had bought the car 2 days before from a garage!!

jbh
    TDi lover

Status
    would be worth getting it plugged in for fault codes.

jbh
    TDi lover

Status
    Steve... you're going to get me into trouble..
    posting links of A4's for spares or repair on eBay you've got me looking now..

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add scr8pdo on Google+
    I think I gonna go for a lot lower mileage lump garaunteed buy a turbo and fannimold of pd130 and put it in Ive seen a few about gonna go hunting tomorrow online mine hade done 220k and was smokey cold (valve guides/seals) whatever so a younger less tired engine and I get to put it in myself, I know my car well, will need a manual mind to see how front end comes off what pipes wires go where hint hint anyone got one for sale Il rent an engine crane and do it on the cobbles (literally) cobbled street lol, make me feel young again, I would have took this on no bother at 15 so why not now eh time to get the spanners out and me hands dirty, see if this joker shows mora which I doubt then Friday that A4 is comin apart! Its good in my street its a semi rural area and most of the residents are into some form of motor game or sport 4x4s I looking forward to it now may even chuck a fresh clutch in the bastid while Iam there!

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add scr8pdo on Google+
    Quote Originally Posted by jbh View Post
    Steve... you're going to get me into trouble..
    posting links of A4's for spares or repair on eBay you've got me looking now..
    I know how you feel, I awoke one Monday morn asleep on my computer desk surrounded by empty Lambrini bottles (about5/6 bigguns) Id been on Ebay all Sunday browsing cars, end of month pay day was there, wernt no more, checked purchase history I had bought a G reg BMW 535i Manual and a 4.0 fookin Jag, I slept downstairs that night, not all bad I more than doubled the price of the Jag and kept the tyre shredding BM for a good 5/6 months :

jbh
    TDi lover

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by scr8pdo View Post
    I know how you feel, I awoke one Monday morn asleep on my computer desk surrounded by empty Lambrini bottles (about5/6 bigguns) Id been on Ebay all Sunday browsing cars, end of month pay day was there, wernt no more, checked purchase history I had bought a G reg BMW 535i Manual and a 4.0 fookin Jag, I slept downstairs that night, not all bad I more than doubled the price of the Jag and kept the tyre shredding BM for a good 5/6 months :
    yea the last time I was drinking whilst on eBay I ended out with a trip to wales to pick up a 325i sport... the G/F at the time wasn't best pleased.. but like you I kept it a while then when I sold it I got a nice profit..

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add scr8pdo on Google+
    What exactly will i need to convert an AFN 110 to wear a 130PD turbo, obviously manifold but else ie hoses etc a remap???

jbh
    TDi lover

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by scr8pdo View Post
    What exactly will i need to convert an AFN 110 to wear a 130PD turbo, obviously manifold but else ie hoses etc a remap???
    the manifold isint required but is a nice upgrade.
    there's a slight difference in the boost pipe connection
    again a remap isint required but if you were to fit the !30/150 turbo bigger injectors a remap would be the next step to get some extra power.
    my car is still running the standard turbo extra but has had a remap and she goes well.

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add scr8pdo on Google+
    Do you think this is a sensible option Passat Audi A4 A6 1.9L TDI AFN 110 BHP Engine | eBay

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add scr8pdo on Google+

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    I simply wouldnt believe those mileages TBH.

Low mileage AFN's dont exist, they've all been to the moon and any that claim otherwise have most likely been clocked.

You have to remember when these cars were new, no-one bought diesels unless you were romping up and down the motorway doing mega mileages. Petrol was cheap and diesel was slow rattly and smelly.
    jbh likes this.

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add scr8pdo on Google+
    I tthink I just gonna bite the bullet and go for the one shown running and get it delivered, buy turbo and bits later, sods law a car will turn up for peanuts once I do this always way mind

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add scr8pdo on Google+
    To be honest I dont really believe that mileage but what choices have I got, go a scrappy and get one pulled out without hearing it run, its winding me up now, all AFNs seem roughly 300 notes or there abouts anyway, I could buy private and it start rattlin/knockin then i left stranded, I could really do with a running car and hear it meself, just cant find one or someone who I would trust on the likes of here wouldnt want to look bad :/

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add scr8pdo on Google+
    Also that engine shown running is it a proper AFN as itsays in the ad its out of a late passat???

jbh
    TDi lover

Status
    the AFN engine in my garage was removed from a 2000 passat. this was around the last year they were fitted to the passats. after this they went to the PD engine.
    again I wouldn't believe any one that says they have a mega low miles AFN unless its been a one owner from new some old boy thats used it to the shop and back..
    Ive seen 2 that were supposedly lowish miles... 1 was a red r reg passat with 117k... untill you checked its MOT history it had lost around 60k that I could see.. the other one was the engine in my wife's seat.. 114k. its knackered.

the one in my car has just hit 247k and pulls like train my old passat had 255k and ran great.
    the one in the garage had 176k and went great

jbh
    TDi lover

Status
    tell you what Steve the engine in my garage complete with turbo pump £300 you can get it couriered for £50 from a mob on eBay

UK CAR ENGINE ON PALLET COURIER COLLECTION & DELIVERY SERVICE UK £49.95 | eBay

Engine Pallet Courier Delivery Service packing Pallet Collection and Delivery Online Pallet Delivery Service for UK, Europe and Worldwide

if you're interested pm me you're number and I will call you.
    Last edited by jbh; 26th September 2013 at 13:40.

jbh
    TDi lover

Status
    just had a rake and cant find the history on the engine. so Im not going to say anything regarding this.

what I will say is it's sitting with all genuine VW/AUDI belts and filters so as you can guess it has been looked after.
    If you are interested I can dig it out ( its buried in the garage ) and get a few pictures

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add scr8pdo on Google+
    Did you get my PM jbh????

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add scr8pdo on Google+
    I need to know if you got my PM, let me know ASAP buddy

The answer is basically yay though
    Last edited by scr8pdo; 26th September 2013 at 18:15.

jbh
    TDi lover

Status
    Hi bud just replied.

James

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add scr8pdo on Google+
    Does anyone know if the AFN engine weighs under 250kg????

jbh
    TDi lover

Status
    I know an m20 is around the 200kg mark and I would say an AFN is lighter through experience.

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add scr8pdo on Google+
    yeah id say biggish cast iron 6 pot ally head or average size 4 pot????? i rekon

jbh
    TDi lover

Status
    yea the 6 pots were a fair lump to move about single handed..
    the AFN almost felt like a toy compared to it

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Yeh its almost certainly under 250kgs.

I'd guess around 170-180.