Filled up with 99 RON

docurley

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
hometown.aol.co.uk
Needed a splash and dash before I got to my local fill stop in Greenwich, as I was low and popped in to the Tesco on the Old Kent Road when I found they now have the 99 RON in that I keep herein about but could never find.

Anyway I decided I would not just put in fiver worth but sling in twenty quid instead.

Well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif what a difference (note I always use super any way) the car pulls so much stronger and seems a lot smoother almost as smooth as my V6, and trust me it take a lot to be as smooth as a V6.

I have to say it was worth paying the extra for the fuel as it made a great improvement over 97RON that’s for sure.

Well done mate, we in sunny wales don't get the luxury of the 99 ron, probably no good for tractors or something,lol

I only usually fill up at Tesco's, gotta love those club cards, noticed all 3 of my local ones I use are selling it. Will give it a go i think.

YAY, there none near me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ... the missus usually hassles me about not filling at tesco's , whinging something about clubcard points...

Apparently it used 5% bio-ethanol - so we are doing our bit for the environment too.

Write up in this months EVO magazine where Optimax, BP Ultimate, Tesco 99 were tested against Shell 97 and Asda normal unleaded.

Tesco 99 good midrange
BP Ultimate best top end
Optimax better than Shell 95 but not as good as BP Ultimate
Tesco 95 a bit variable - from many different suppliers
Asda 95 a bit variable but one lot was very good. - From many different suppliers.
105 octane race fuel gave very good results.
All the above are for a current Golf GTI (2.0T). The Golf made more than the manufacturers claimed power on all of the fuels and 20hp more on some!

The BMW M5 did not benefit from the higher octane fuels but was producing about 40hp more than stock anyway!

My feeling was that the Tesco 99 is probably worth a few pence per litre to me - I get most of my fuel from Tesco anyway.

The Tesco 99 comes from one source in the South East at the moment hence its limited availability.

Saw an item on the news this morning indicating that there is a government target to be using 5% bio-fuels by 2010.

Filled up yesterday for 90.9. drove from essex to Warwick, I got a better MPG on the journey!

Strangely mine doesnt seem to like the 99 as much as optimax.
Pricey down here though - 95.9

WOW, 95.9, that's a bit harsh, I've found it for 90.9!
With normal 95 at 87.9
Maybe I ought to try Optimax, got a Shell garage I pass often, see what that does!