rear discs/bearings

Danielson

Reaction score
Website
audi-sport.net
hi all, happy new year, i got my m.o.t this week and i reckon my rear discs and pads have seen there best, i got some rear discs and pads, but im told there are bearings pressed in the discs, anybody changed theirs? easy? where can i get the bearings other than from the stealers? cheers dan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

snoop-vi1.jpg

just FYI £47 or £57 a side trade price dependant on chassis number, from the stealer

Euro car parts list them £12 or £20

ahh, nice one was getting worried for a min there, the dealer prices are just silly. europarts seems the way foward. thanks mate. i guess i gotta find somewhere local to press the buggers in next.

Hi, I got mine from German and Swedish car parts. I managed to press the new ones in using a large socket, it is possible but you need to be careful. Other things you need to consider as well are:-

1. The ABS rings (assuming you have abs). These will also need to be transferred to the new disks. They are tricky to remove without damaging them (I bought new ones from main dealer)

2. You have to "wind" in the calipers on the rear disks (unlike the front calipers, you cannot just push them back). To do this you really need the special tool to do this (can be bought at Halfords etc about £20). I have managed to do this without one(using a large waterpump pliers) but it is very difficult especially if you have new disks and pads.

3. You also need new split pins for the stub axles. I would recommend getting 2 sets and checking the play after about 500 miles or so.

I managed to get it all working with the original bearings and abs rings!

Was a C@#T to do! Absolute sod! Took nearly 7 hours! but hey I did it all myself, and all it cost was discs and pads....

Reminds me, ought to stick it on stand tomo and check the rear end!

Took a lot of careful work with a hot air gun and big sockets! Got the ABS rings off by heating and then taping thru the back with a bar and hammer gently! Be damn careful tho, otherwise the ABS may go MAD!

All seems ok 3-4000 miles on, and had a new MOT too....

The word of warning I would give though if you dou decide to reuse the old bearings and abs rings and damage them you could end up being stranded without the car....

im going to order 2 new abs rings and bearings, my ole bus has covered 99500 miles and a few more, so i thinks its only fair she has some new bearings and im pretty sure i will break the abs rings. im sure it will be a real pain in the **** of a job and a lot of swearing, blood, sweat and beer will take place. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif