Audi A4 tdi avant won't start..... diagnostic help/advice needed

proevo21

Reaction score
I have an audi avant 2.0 tdi automatic (trip tronic) 2005, I was driving along and I felt the car slow down temporarily (as if no fuel was getting in the engine) then noral and then slow down but nothing major, after 2 or so minutes I pulled up at a supermarket at parked on an ever so slight incline so front of my car was slightly higher than the back. After I did my shopping (about 10mins) I came out and the car would not start, the lights worked as normal, the engine did not turn over or mask any noise, when I held the key a bit longer ithe ignition I heard a clicking sound from the engine bay, but engine did not turn over. Breakdown guy tried to jump the car using his truck and still nothing. The next day I took it to a garage, they replaced the starter and still nothing. On the day that it broke down I did lift the hood and could smell a faint burning smell from the front of the car, passengers side headlight area (bear in mind I have a Lhd car) . A few days before I did run the car v close to being empty, and when I did fill up I only filled up with £20 worth of diesel. I mention this as I thought it could be a cause of the problem, as in build up of sludge, reading on the Internet I have read that I should check that fuel is going or getting to the engine , and aso check glow plugs ... Any advice would be apprected as garage are saying it coud be the engine but I can't understand why it didn't stop whist I was driving or that it didn't ake any odd noises before hand, any diagnostic help would be much appreciated as th last thing I need is the cost of replacing an engine.

if the starter isnt turning, then its not a fuel or electronics issue. The starter circuit is very simple, and even with no ECU in the car, it should still happily crank the engine over.

It sounds as though perhaps the engine earthstrap has broken. Its located between the chassis and engine, quite near the passenger side headlight area you mention, down below the turbo.

A quick check, is to get yourself a jump lead (a decent thick one) and connect one end to a good solid metal part on the engine (alternator mounting bracket perhaps?), and the other end to the negative battery terminal, then see if the engine will crank over.

Reactions: proevo21
thank you so much aragorn, i really appreciate your advice, i will try that and let you know the outcome... all makes sense though .. here's hoping.

but when you say that "starter isn't turning" do you mean that i cant hear the car trying to start up.. ? as i can hear clicking if a hold the key in the most clockwise/engaged (for want of a better word) position but certainly does not sound like engine is trying to start.

Clicking sounds fairly typical of a bad earth wire.

If the starter circuit was fine, you should hear the normal "wub wub wub wub" type noise the car normally makes before starting.

If the earth connection is bad, usually enough current flows to engage the solenoid, so you get a click, but then the load of the actual motor trying to spin the engine is too great for the bad connection, and the voltage drops out, causing the solenoid to disengage. At which point the voltage comes back up, the solenoid re-engages, and the process repeats, giving a rapid click click click click noise.

Reactions: proevo21
i'll check it out tomorrow but i am very hopeful as everything that you said fits with what have encountered. thanks agan, and as Arnie said i'll be back with info :)

i'll check it out tomorrow but i am very hopeful as everything that you said fits with what have encountered. thanks agan, and as Arnie said i'll be back with info :)

I know it is a tad late... but i completely forgot to reply, i tried your suggestion and it did not work, had to get the engine rebuilt.
But i still want to say thank you for your help, v greatly appreciated.
:o.k: