Hub bolt question

elsawin states the following

• [SIZE=-1]‒ [/SIZE]Bolt drive shaft to gearbox.
    • Tightening torques:
    • M8 = 40 Nm, M10 = 70 Nm
  • [SIZE=-1]‒ [/SIZE]Press home ABS speed sensor in wheel bearing housing and insert wire in holder at brake caliper.
  • [SIZE=-1]‒ [/SIZE]Fit and secure wheel .
  • [SIZE=-1]‒ [/SIZE]Tighten hexagon bolt for drive shaft. Vehicle must be standing on its wheels when tightening to avoid danger of accidents.
    • Tightening torques:
    • M14 hexagon bolt, 115 Nm + further 180° turn
    • M16 hexagon bolt, 190 Nm + further 180° turn

neither etka nor elsawin have any part numbers or references to 17mm for the B5 model

Capture

Audi may have changed the bolt over the years so I can only help with what is shown on etka & elsawin. I'm sure they are also stretch bolt so would need to be replaced when refitting.

For the TQS and other Quattros:

Fronts are M16 and have a 17mm hex drive.
Rears are M14 and have a 14mm hex drive.

FWD 4 cylinder models have M14 bolts up front due to the smaller CV/bearing.

I've always struggled to get the 180degree turn, you get about 90, then theres so much flex in the bar etc that getting the next 90 is really hard.

3/4" drive breaker bar might help, but finding the hex drive sockets in 3/4" drive wont be easy!

Yeah ive just struggled to get the other 90 degrees, just drove home and im still getting a bearing type noise at say 3.5k on throttle at motorway speeds its starting to **** me off its not loud loud its only slightly noticeable but the old bearing was rough when i spun the wheel and made a gurgling noise when coming to a stop !!

my diff/gearbox whine seems to be cured now, the gearbox prop flange was leaking so swapped the full unit over from my old box as it had a new seal not so long back and the whine was coming from centre diff area so thought id change the whole back end of the box, also replaced the o/s rear diff seal as it was leaking slightly.

just need to get this bearing noise cured now !!

If the noise only appears on throttle its not a wheel bearing IMO.

Bearings are usually most obvious when declutched as the engine noise fades away. Steering left and right usually makes the noise change too.

If its power related, i'd say diff or gearbox. Have you checked the oil levels?

Yeah did the oil levels yesterday along with the wheel bearing, it does change tone with steering input aswell only really does it at say 80mph @ 3.5k on slight throttle hasnt started doing it off throttle yet though.

Got my replacement diff going in today the chap i got it off threw in the prop as well which all came from a 2.8 quattro so going to do the diff today and if all fails strip and rebuild his prop and make a good one out off his, quick Q ?? Whats the tightening torque for the rear diff flanges (bolt that holds them to the diff) ??

cheers

It wont be much as its only an M8 bolt. I just tightened it by hand until it felt right.

I'd guess about 40nm, same as the M8 CV flange bolts.