Monster MotorsportSky Insurance
    Reverse Gear

Status

S4 Calipers on a standard B5

Thinking of buying some Calipers of an S4 I know I will need some carriers but not sure which ones to get. I know A6 ones will fit but will they be ok with the calipers

2. # ADS
    ADS

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

Status
    You also need the uprights from a S4 or later A4 B6 and lower control arms only if going alloy uprights, personally ive heard the stock S4 brakes arent all that great B6 S4's or Brembo 18Z's seem to be everyones choice if your looking at cost of parts when coming to replace discs etc as RS4 Discs are around £250 each iirc and dealer only !!

i got my calipers for £180 posted just need few bits to fit them but moving house (again) and baby due im not that bothered going to wait till new year so after winter and mr frost has been i can slap them on !!
    1999 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport - Volcano Black

Mods - Frankenturbo F21 Kit - 3" MAF - Saab Reds - THS Decat - Non Res Milltek - ECS Crank Pulley - 034 Snub + Bracket/Gbox Mounts - 1Z/S2 Clutch + Flywheel - 007p - ICM + EVAP Delete - PFR6Q Plugs - S4 B6 345mm Brakes - 300mm Rear Brakes - Goodridge Hoses - LCR Splitter -S4 Bumbers + Skirts/Mouldings - OEM Xenons - Apikol Diff mounts - Polytek'd Rear Diff Mount
    To do/planned -Eibach pro's - GT2871/76R + FMIC + ME7 (maybe) + Engine/stroker Build

1st Gear

Status
    Do the junior Brembo's on the Seat Leon Cupra R fit?

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooand View Post
    Thinking of buying some Calipers of an S4 I know I will need some carriers but not sure which ones to get. I know A6 ones will fit but will they be ok with the calipers
    Best get the 312mm upgrade with some quality pads- plenty stopping power. If you're still after bigger brakes then as above s4 b6 front brakes will do well, however the s4 discs are not suitable and only work with s4 uprights. Best to get the allroad 2001-2005 front brakes- they are the same caliper as the s4 but slightly smaller disc- more than enough stopping power ! I have them on my 300Bhp audi a6 and they stop the car on a dime, however i need to upgrade them due to cooking the brakes after a hard drive, they do smoke but don't fade at all ! The same caliper has been used on 3.0Tdi and later 2.0Tfsi quattro's from 2005 onwards ! If you need a set of 312 i have one here...
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    The issue is that S4, and 2001> A4/A6 models use a larger caliper bolt spacing, so any later brakes simply wont fit.

You have various options.

If you want to keep the stock uprights ("hubs") then the only off the shelf parts that fit are TT 312mm carriers. With these you retain the original 288 caliper (the TT one has smaller pistons so isnt any use) and you fit the TT carrier to move the caliper out a bit, and install the larger 312mm disks from a B6 A4 3.0. This only works if you currently have 288's though. If your car is equipped with smaller brakes, you will need a pair of 288 calipers as well as the TT carriers.

If you want to use S4 brakes (or larger), then you need to replace the uprights with ones that have the wider spacing. The options here are steel S4 uprights, which are a straight swap (also used on early 2.7T A6's and Allroads) or B6 A4/'01-'05 A6 uprights which are aluminium, but to use the aluminium uprights you need to use an '01-05 A6 front lower control arm.

If you choose to upgrade to these later parts, you have various choices open to you, from 312mm, 320mm, 345mm and upwards towards RS4 parts and the like. Personally i'd avoid the B5 S4 calipers, they're not very good. If you want the 320mm S4 size disks, you can use the caliper that chris mentioned above, which is used on some of the bigger engined A6/Allroad models, and is a far better caliper than the B5 S4 one, and uses the same B5 S4 disk.
    Last edited by aragorn; 13th September 2013 at 19:07.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Reverse Gear

Status
    Great advice as usual, I think I'll go with the TT carriers and discs with my own calipers, cheers everyone
    Last edited by Tooand; 14th September 2013 at 20:09.