Uprated Headlamp bulbs

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I'm planning on replacing the standard headlight bulbs with ones that actually enable me to see at night. Am I right in thinking the dipped-beam bulbs are H7 and the main beams H4?

The car is a 99.5 facelift with single piece lights, BTW.

Im not sure what bulb types you need, but i can recomend PIAA Plasma Blue spark,,,They look like xenon (really!) and are v bright!

Rich

I got some cheap ones off ebay not so long ago. They look much better, road signs and white lines look very much brighter but, they are not very powerful unless you spend some money.

Rich

Jeff, silver satrs all the way mate, great bulb still 55watt. very white and bright

And arnt they both H7's mate??

H4's were on the early lamps

[ QUOTE ]
Im not sure what bulb types you need, but i can recomend PIAA Plasma Blue spark,,,They look like xenon (really!) and are v bright!

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

How much should I pay for a set?

[ QUOTE ]

And arnt they both H7's mate??

H4's were on the early lamps

[/ QUOTE ]

Have just found a reference guide, and you're right. H7 for both dipped and main beam.

I can thoroughly recommend PIAA bulbs, have just fitted a set of Super Mirror bulbs (H4) to my pre-facelift A4; really has transformed driving at night.
They are very white, with not too much blue, make the old bulbs look weak and far too yellow......
They aren't cheap (approx £48 delivered); best place to buy them IMHO is Ebay.Mine came from Hong Kong (the bulbs are Japanese-made) with no duty etc; bought in the UK they would've cost around £70 the pair..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

PS PIAA do loads of different tinted bulbs, its worth checking out www.piaa.co.uk to see their range before trying to decide which ones to go for....

[ QUOTE ]
I can thoroughly recommend PIAA bulbs, have just fitted a set of Super Mirror bulbs (H4) to my pre-facelift A4; really has transformed driving at night.
They are very white, with not too much blue, make the old bulbs look weak and far too yellow......
They aren't cheap (approx £48 delivered); best place to buy them IMHO is Ebay.Mine came from Hong Kong (the bulbs are Japanese-made) with no duty etc; bought in the UK they would've cost around £70 the pair..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

PS PIAA do loads of different tinted bulbs, its worth checking out www.piaa.co.uk to see their range before trying to decide which ones to go for....

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Nessy, will do my homework.

Thanks for all the info and advice, guys. After some browsing, I decided to go with Osram Silver Stars.

I managed to get two pairs of H7s on Ebay for £40.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

How much should I pay for a set?

[/ QUOTE ]

Id say nothing below £30. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

you can get better vision without changing the bulbs. measure the voltage drop through the wiring. mine was loosing near enough 2 volts through the audi wiring. before i got HID's just rewired the existing lights with better quality wiring and relays and the difference was huge.

[ QUOTE ]
you can get better vision without changing the bulbs. measure the voltage drop through the wiring. mine was loosing near enough 2 volts through the audi wiring. before i got HID's just rewired the existing lights with better quality wiring and relays and the difference was huge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Way too technical for, I'm afrad, Kris. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/

[/ QUOTE ]

Osram Silver Stars are £24.95 a pair on Powerbulbs. I've paid £19.99 a pair thru Ebay.

[/ QUOTE ]
hi jeff let us know what they are like when you get them.

Mate they are as different as night and day, i have tried various ones in the past, and the osrams are by far the best i have used. I whole hartedly recomend them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

I used to drive a Vauxhall, Now i drive QUALITY !! A4 1.8se 98

hey which vauxhall did u drive ? i had a astra gte16v.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Takes a deep breath...

1982 Mk 1 Astra 1.3 (good for its time)
1983 Mk 2 Cav 1.6 (lousy at any time)
1987 Nova 1.3 SR (a nice pocket rocket in the days before Chavdom)
1989 Mk 2 Astra 1.3 (not as good as the Mk 1)
1992 Mk 3 Cavalier 1.8 Auto (looked good in Diamond Black)
1993 Mk 3 Cavalier V6 2.5 Auto (also in Diamond Black, a great stealth car, even if the handling was a bit "approximate")

and, finally...

1997 Mk 1 Vectra V6 2.5 Auto (unspeakably awful)

Since then, it's been Audi all the way.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a 2.0 16valve '95 cav, it however wasnt a sleeper as it has a combat body kit, BMW E36 headlights and tail lights, loads of smoothing and some nice interior goodies,lol

I had HUGE brakes, LOW suspension, and all that jazz.
Then got what i realy wanted, an A4,lol

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Takes a deep breath...

1982 Mk 1 Astra 1.3 (good for its time)
1983 Mk 2 Cav 1.6 (lousy at any time)
1987 Nova 1.3 SR (a nice pocket rocket in the days before Chavdom)
1989 Mk 2 Astra 1.3 (not as good as the Mk 1)
1992 Mk 3 Cavalier 1.8 Auto (looked good in Diamond Black)
1993 Mk 3 Cavalier V6 2.5 Auto (also in Diamond Black, a great stealth car, even if the handling was a bit "approximate")

and, finally...

1997 Mk 1 Vectra V6 2.5 Auto (unspeakably awful)

Since then, it's been Audi all the way.

[/ QUOTE ]
wow my question was to Mawhitey as in his signiture says he used to drve a vauxhall i didnt know you had many vauxhalls . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ello newbie here but also an ex vaux man /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

just changed over from a cav 16v to an a4 tdi god i wish i'd jumped ship sooner

i had a vauxhall too, irmscher kitted corsa. you guys used to go on migweb?

[ QUOTE ]
i had a vauxhall too, irmscher kitted corsa. you guys used to go on migweb?

[/ QUOTE ]
nope i used tobe a member of the VPCC vauxhall performace car club went to one of the shows years ago. was before the internet used to get a bi monthly mag for but £12 pa.

Out of them the bluer one will probably look whiter, i would however consider using LEDs mate, a nice white crisp light, and a direct replacement

[ QUOTE ]
Out of them the bluer one will probably look whiter, i would however consider using LEDs mate, a nice white crisp light, and a direct replacement

[/ QUOTE ]
just ordered the LEDs of ebay
looking foward to the difference
cheers

My H7 SilverStars have just arrived from Dashlights. They included two pairs of the blue Xenon-filled sidelight bulbs free, gratis and no-charge, as a special Christmas offer. What a fantastic deal!!!!!

Will let you know what they're like once I get them in.