TALK ABOUT TERRIBLE LUCK :(

scr8pdo

Reaction score
I have always had bad luck on Wednesdays, all the ****** time, every time, well today started fine, I had been watching and being very careful, then it starts ****** happening dunnit!

First my uncle is in Manchester in hospital with a serious amount of Lukemia, at aroung 2pm is we get a very distressed call from my aunt, my mums sister, basically my uncle has 3 options 1 they leave him as he is, 2nd they give him a massive blast of chemo as a last resort but this could be too powerful and kill mhim straight, the other is palliative care so basically the poor bloke is a gonna!

So I get a call, can I run my mum over to the hospital in Manchester to say her farewells etc, I fly over and pick her up, I get on the East Lancs (A580) but put my foot down as a lorry is coming a bit too quick, I over revved where I normally would at about 5k!instead of say, my normal 3.5k then nothing, lost all my power wouldnt rev over 1.5k, then on come the flaming oil light! then the revs pick right up, its now running on its own engine oil so I stall the the car to stop as switching it off has no effect, it started again and basically kept over revving first, I got it to ASDA where I check the oil its not even showing on the stick, I stick in about 3.5 litres and it goes to the top of the indicator, then check it again, it is dry as a bone so in goes the rest of the 5 litres of GTX and it comes runnin round my feet :( the engine is now seized solid. **** knows whats going on but it looks like my AFN is dead :( :( :( I dunno what the **** to do, how much is a cheap AFN???? I was gonna do the work today on it know all this, lifes just not fair Iam seriously upset and TOTALLY GUTTED WHAT AM i GONNA DO CHAPS????? I SICK AS A PIG I REALLY AM! :)

Last edited:
I am really sorry for you but it looks like the engine had thrown a rod, hence the oil running at your feets- rod went trough the block. If you did not start it when again before it ran away probably you could have saved it by just a replacing the turbo...

If it's of any help i do have a low mileage AHH engine, same design as the AFN but a little bit stronger(it's euro3 as well), it has a glued alloy sump which makes one piece with the gearbox. The AHH used to have a 11mm pump but i can throw a AFN pump on it and time it up for you. There's no turbo on the engine so you will have to source that from somewhere else... I am based in London, don't know if that's too far for you... you will have to pick it up in the boot of a car- an estate is ok and i can assist you with loading in the car !

Try multi co breakers in oldham he has loads of b5 stuff ask for moses (if hes in that is never there when i phone) tell i put you on to him (brad from citroen, 'jacks' mate) there all sorted and offer 3 months warranty iirc

they have all ways been nothing but help for me !!

heres there number - 0161 633 3999

any trouble giv us a shout !!

Know how you feel, I smashed up the front end of my B5 a few weeks back and just spent the last few weeks and good few quid getting it back on the road. Hope you get it sorted:thumbsup:

What sort of wonga are we talking mate? I am from East London myself, where are you buddy :)
Muswell Hill, N. London... I don't want a lot of money on it mate and if it helps i don't need it straight away. Come and pick-it up and when you put a few quid together you pay me !

Muswell Hill, N. London... I don't want a lot of money on it mate and if it helps i don't need it straight away. Come and pick-it up and when you put a few quid together you pay me !

Went out today, fingers crossed, checked dipstick and was showing on low part the oil didn seem to be all over floor as first thought anyway turned the key, it spun over a bit then stopped as if a flat battery but my booster is shot

PS anyway bud if you could give us a roughish idea what you want nfor your engine it would be great and if I need a turbo???

Last edited:
I not sure ive thrown a rod cause I cant see anything sticking through the block, the engine semi turns over, just wish my neigh was in and I could chuck me jump leads on

Just a thought for when you get sorted.

If you have flattened the battery turning it over, you will find a shedload of faults that will need VCDS to clear.

Try and charge the battery and not jump start it if possible as you may add more faults jumping it from flat.

Steve as previously said ive got a good turbo here that's on the engine that I took out my passat.
there was no issues with the turbo or engine hence I kept it as a spare.
my A4 has had a new turbo and the wife's car has had a recently rebuilt turbo so it is sitting there doing nothing.
I just kept it as I knew it was good and at that time I never knew the history of the wife's turbo.
its still attached to the engine but if you do need it let me know. as I say I know its a good one and the car went well, never smoked and had been well looked after mechanically. turbo has no play extra

I not sure ive thrown a rod cause I cant see anything sticking through the block, the engine semi turns over, just wish my neigh was in and I could chuck me jump leads on

Before starting it by key get a socket on the crank pulley and turn it by hand for a few revolutions and feel for any notchiness, or difficult to turn, or at least more than compression.

not meaning to be negative, but that oil came from somewhere, think you'd be better looking for the cause of that before firing it up.

Before starting it by key get a socket on the crank pulley and turn it by hand for a few revolutions and feel for any notchiness, or difficult to turn, or at least more than compression.

not meaning to be negative, but that oil came from somewhere, think you'd be better looking for the cause of that before firing it up.

Ive got to agree with this turn it over by hand a few times before trying to start it.

Ive got to agree with this turn it over by hand a few times before trying to start it.
I had a thought, does anyone think that Ive overfilled the ****** a bit and its sort of hyrdrolocked, like a bore or 2 is full of oil and It locking it up, just I havent been underneath yet but had a good look round the sides (I on crutches) to see if a rod is hanging out, the othe thing is there was no oil in the lump, so i topped it, even 4 litres didnt show ow on stick, then I looked down and saw the rainbow colours, me thinking its just peeing straight out, but the car had a mild leak anyway and when moved forward there was no big puddle of oil, (weird)

PS talking of using VDS will my MS509 codereader do the job?

Last edited:
An idea I had was to remove all the glow plugs and turn by hand see if oil starts spurting out indicating the bores of oil scenario

Step away from the ****** keys.

You've already had it run away, and now your trying to start it again?

IF your going to try and start it, disconnect the charge pipe from the inlet manifold to ensure no oil can make it from the turbo into the inlet, and clamp off the turbo oil supply. Before you even do that, pop off the turbo intake and have a feel of the shaft, it'll be immediately obvious if its blown.

You've almost certainly blown the turbo, and the oil will be ******* out of the turbo bearings into the inlet pipework. That means two things, 1, it'll run on its own oil as you've already discovered, 2, it'll starve the rest of the engine of oil pressure and you'll destroy all your bearings.

You should have stopped IMMEDIATELY, and if you'd done that, the engine would be fine and all you'd need is a new turbo. At this point its very likely the engines scrap. You've probably spun some bearings from the lack of oil. Why the fk would you keep trying to drive it when you KNEW it was trying to run on its own oil, and had the pressure warning up on the dash?!

We blew the turbo on my mates bora half way up stelvio pass in italy. But because we immediately stopped, disconnected the inlet pipework and blanked off the oil feed to the turbo at the side of the road, we managed to drive the car a further 2500miles round europe and home without issue.

Problem I had I was on a bend of the A580 which people would have been doing 60-80mph just as they saw me and a major collision was on the cards, the old lump has done 220k, and I think I gonna go for another, I would like another AFN lump, what are they like to change btw my friend, whats done is done clocks only go one way unfortunately, I could keep the old AFN for spares, is this job doable in my back yard with a crane say? I have fitted literally hundreds of lumps but not one of these so wouldnt find it at all daunting, plus while the newer lump is out I can do a few mods that would be easier than in the bay I thinking this engine is finished as you say car too good to scrap plus Ive come quite attached to it really );

swapping the engine like for like is a weekends work on a driveway with a crane. Easy enough to do, if you've changed engines before it'll be a breeze.

Iam now looking at taking the path of gettig a 2nd hand decent lump and swapping the bastids, I just wondered if there were any odd/special tools needed for the task or anything special to watch out for , as I say Ive done many an engine change, some a damn sight more scary looking than this one, I hear the front end comes off too for good measure, is there a method to this, (I got a Haynes manual in the post) btw just wondered for any certain tips from you (the men who know) all the best Ste :)

no special tools needed bud. front end comes off fairly easy. get the bumper off and you'll see how to get the front end off.
I presume you have a decent selection off tools? ie torx and spline keys included?