steering vague

205man

Reaction score
ive been driving up and down from Worcester to Sheffield motorway a few times this week and i have noticed that my steering feels vague when driving around 50-70 mph.

the wheels were balanced week or so ago and the alignment was also done, i don't drive on the motorway as much as i used to so this is the first time i had chance to notice it.

when im cruising along the car seems to wander a bit and i keep having to correct the steering but it doesn't feel as tight as i think it should.

i was thinking of changing track rod ends as they never been changed and car has done 135000 miles but any other ideas?

Get it proper 4 wheel aligned also check that the control arms etc are in good order, i chased this as my old rack had play replaced the rack still got vague steering but the free play had gone, did a alignment and replaced front tyres and it was fine !!

although its starting to come back a little and steering wheel is slightly of centre also it changes the direction of being of centre to the camber of the road, if i straighten the wheel it pulls very hard to the left going to sort this weekend along with the bad rear bearing and o/s rear diff seal !!!

front tyres are only month or so old, control arms are also less than 6 months, audi did the alignment lol

Good control arms? or cheap ones?

If you replace the TRE's, use S4 style solid steel ones rather than the crappy rubbery ones they fit to the A4.

they were the good ones as decided i didnt want to spend out twice

ive just looked on euro carparts website and it lists loads of different ones for the a4 and s4, so how would i know which is best ones

Well its just the Meyle kits come with TRE's yet you said you havent changed them...

Jason at All German will sort you out with some solid S4 type TRE's