Quite urgent post!

scr8pdo

Reaction score
Well I say urgent but i fully intend to change the oil on my 1.9 tdI AFN today and I am in 2 minds to flush it or not? Do I flush it and risk loosing carbon junk or making seals leak or change the oil as is has done 210k, the only grace is that when I bought thre car around 6 months back it had a bad oil leak, iam talking 500ml a day so it was getting fresh oil in all the time via top up, now the seal is nigh on cured with that pour in leak stop stuff, so WHAT DO I DO ????????? :/ thanks in advance :) ste

My advice is leave the engine flush additive. Drop the plastic engine tray, then run car to operating temperature, then remove sump plug. Watch as oil will be hot. Remember to renew copper sump washer when refitting plug.

leave the flush

Leave the flush as it could undo the stop leak stuff.. Where is the leak coming from? I would put a proper fix in for that and then flush & change the oil.

if you want to flush the engine without using a flush, just get some cheap oil (wilkos or Adsa do pretty cheap 10w40) and change the oil 2 or 3 times in quick succession, making sure the car gets a decent run up to temperature each time and the oil is changed with the engine hot.

have to agree, I reckon I lost a 3 year old 1.8T A4 to flush, it went bang shortly after and I never touched flushes again.

they dislodge stuff you want dissolved slowly, and it can block oilways and the filter, as Aragorn says use a tdi oil with detergent and it will naturally dissolve deposits as its known that diesels build soot in the oil - along with some fuel too in a lot of cases. Frequent oil changes with a filter each time will do wonders, and if you are really keen, drop the sump and clean the oil strainer / pickup end.

Forte Lubricants - Engine Treatments

Clean engines internally and provide anti-wear protection

I'm in the same boat as the OP.

I replaced the rocker gasket to fix a bad leak last weekend, now it's going in for some new calipers front [had enough ******* about] and was thinking about dropping sump but it's "on the clock" and the forte stuff gets a good notice from the garage and their own fixed a problem page.

I just wish I had the facility [ie a lift] then I'd do all the **** myself, but hey ho.

have an open look at both links and let us know.

cheers

Mo.