Replacing speakers front door

lawrence

Reaction score
Website
www.ntu.ac.uk
hi there, does anyone know how to replace the standard speakers, i have tried taken the 2 screws on the front door then pulling the door card out, but it seems quite hard and i dont want to pull any harder as it seems like to break, any idea?
many thanks!

there is a cover under the pull handle on the door card (not the one for opening the door but the one you would pull it shut with), this is held in with a screw. remove this cover then you will find two more screws to take out. assuming you already have both the top screws out at either side of the door card

then the door card will lift up and out of its fixings. once all the screws are out it lifts relatively easily so no don't force it.

also when you lift it up and off hold it close until you get the door release, window, mirror and speaker connections removed. there are some small clips which may fall out or be moved so try to keep this in mind.

i would have linked you here but it seems it can't be accessed these days, anyone know why? was an ftp site with loads of this kind of stuff with diagrams etc.

DSC00191.jpg

It's easier to remove/refit with the window down as well.
You'll need aapters in order to fit aftermarket speakers, it's a bit fiddly and you can fit 5.25" units with a bit of work.
The OEM speakers are 4" with a 1" tweeter.

Which Alpines did you fit and how much difference did they make as opposed to the standard speakers?

Very nice. My front driver door speaker is blown. So need to fit new ones myself! So as albgut1 says price and much difference?

Merry Christmas everyone!

Merry Christmas to everyone too, the speakers were only £50 from halfords, they are slightly better than the standard ones from nokia but were a bit of pain in the *** to fit, as using the autoleads adaptors plates, the speakers are only held on by 2 screws to the plate and then onto the door card, and also took me ages to fit the door card back as the door pin wouldnt go back to where it should be!!

Yes all autoleads adapters are pants, they either don't fit at all or leave air gaps between the speaker & door card.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes all autoleads adapters are pants, they either don't fit at all or leave air gaps between the speaker & door card.

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought i fitted them in wrong, i wasnt sure so i only fitted one , and it does leave a gap.
when i fitted it back and when i used the balance my old standard speaker sounds better than my new alpine i hope when i get round sorting out the adapters it will sound better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif

Yeah the autoleads adapters are only good for one thing, using as templates for making your own from MDF. If there's any sort of gap between the speaker cone and the door pael it will kill the sound quality.

cant you butcher the OE speaker mounts? can anyone get me a few pics so i can see, or i might design some MDF ones that could be 'mass produced' so to speak

The OE speakers are designed specifically to fit the A4 door panels, so you need to make new ones from MDF.
The only tricky bit is getting the angle of the holes correct as the mounting posts are at an angle to the cutout. The posts are at 90 degrees to the door panel, but the cutout is at an angle facing slightly upwards. So quite a bit of trial and error. Once fitted correctly you then need a 2nd ring made from thinner MDF (6mm) to take the bigger speaker (if fitting 5.25" units).
The only photo I have is this one with the new speaker fitted
RainbowA4fitted.jpg