Correcting the mileage ?

Vince70

Reaction score
I wonder if someone could help I own a very early 1994/95 poverty spec 1.6 A4 which has low mileage 64000 and I've noticed the rev counter is sticking and the analogue clock only works when the is ignition on.

So today I bought a cheap set of clocks which are off an early 1.8 (immobiliser 1) so I haven't got to worry about the immobiliser being built into the cluster as the car is an early one.

The problem will be the mileage I doubt the mileage will be as low on the new set of clocks,
is there any cheap way of changing the mileage or could I take the speedo out of my old cluster and refit in the new cluster, or could I be lucky and find that the mileage is stored on the ECU rather than the clocks on an early A4.

You will need vag tacho or similar to change mileage !

Will vagtacho correct mileage on immo 1 cluster ?
It communicates with separate immo box not the actual cluster

Should do it, there is a option in vagtacho for old immo1 box, if it does it- i don't know ! I used to have an old serial interface which worked under ms dos, that done all clusters to 2005...

does the car have an obd port or older style 2 square ports?
if your local i could try to do the correction, never done it on a car that old though.

so my car being a 96 doesn't have the immobiliser built into the cluster?
if so that's great news.. anyone got a set of clocks with the oil temp and volt meter on them for a TDi ?

so my car being a 96 doesn't have the immobiliser built into the cluster?
if so that's great news.. anyone got a set of clocks with the oil temp and volt meter on them for a TDi ?

Thanks for all the replies and help.
Well I took the old cluster out and cleaned up the circuit board with some electrical contact cleaner and when I reinstalled the dash the airbag light came on :(

So I ordered myself a cheap vagcom lead to turn the airbag light off then found out it was coming via a slow boat from China after ordering it and the Mot was yesterday.

So I took out the airbag light bulb out of the old set of clocks hoping it would get through while I'm waiting for the new cluster and lead to arrive but it passed with the airbag light not working anyway (only failed on an outer CV boot) :)

I was thinking about getting the clocks with a volt meter and oil temp gauge myself but wasn't to sure if it would just plug in and work so I went for a basic set which looked the same as mine and came out of a car the same year.

I was thinking of taking out the speedo on my old set and reinstalling it on the new set but I doubt very much it would work plus their are slight differences in the back of the clusters (both immob 1) being that the shape of the back of the cluster is slightly different and the old set has a grey back with made in Germany written on it and the new set have a white back with made in the uk written on them.

I may just put up with having a higher mileage on the car as although its in Excellent condition with low mileage at the end of the day its only going to be worth £350 to £400 whatever the condition and mileage.

If I was to get another set of clocks I wouldn't be worried about the mileage on them. but saying that.. I like the fact I know my car had been to the moon and back and still going strong :)

well thats a new set of clocks from a 97 tdi quattro on route to me.. so fingers crossed theyll go in and work with the oil and volt meter. will let you know.

ill need to start a thread of my own soon as the clocks coming have the center lcd display so Ill be wanting the function on this to work.

oil meter wont just magically work, you'll need to add the sensor.

Also if your current car doesnt have DIS you'll have to add the level sensors for the screenwash and coolant or you'll have permenant warnings on the display.

Also, you sure the '97 clocks arent the later type? Theres three types of clocks. Early ones have analog clock with lots of small fractional time markers. These have no immo, and the immo is a seperate box. Middle ones have 12 3 6 9 marked on and less time markers and have immo built in, late ones have digital clock and immo3. Each type has different wiring.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9001/allclustersrev.jpg

pretty sure there the early type but what there costing me I can afford to take the risk
I did think I would need to change the sender im going to see if I can get the part number for the one ill need. what I need to know is will it plug and play or will I need to rewire it? same as the level sensors? will the wiring be there for them?

i'm not sure if the wiring will be there. Have a look near your oil filter housing for a spare wire?

Screen wash level wiring certainly isnt there, not sure if low spec cars have the coolant level sensor?

yip its confirmed... its the early type with no numbers on the clock

so ill start my own thread and ill be looking for the diagram for the plugs to tell me what pins on the rear do what