2.5 TDI Q Avant rear disc replacement

orchid66

Reaction score
Evening all....just bought new calipers and discs for my rear axle but I've heard somewhere there is a method to get the rear discs off without busting my b***s trying to undo the carrier hex bolts....is this true? how's it done?? Anyone got any tips??
Thanks, much appreciated, P.

The carrier hex bolts shouldnt be that bad to remove you can loosen the top one and remove the bottom one and iirc will come off if you lift the carrier up.

Can't shift them and don;t wanna round them off......was under the impression the hub has a small cutout to allow removal of the discs without carrier removal but damned if I can find it!!

used 8mm hex bolt and 1/2 inch drive with breaker bar..

Discs should come off without taking the carriers off !

Sorry, just noticed it's in the b5 section, the discs won't come off without removing the carrier ! Get some good mole grips and loads of penetrating oil and they will come off eventually !

Last edited:
Before you go any further, go get a set of new carrier bolts from Audi, that way if you mangle them, its not a problem for refitting, and you'll be fine for next time.

A decent 8mm hex drive socket properly hammered in, and careful application of torque should see them off, make 100% sure the torque is applied perpendicular to the bolt, and dont let the hex bit droop down at an angle when your trying to undo it, or you will chew them up.

Worst case you cut the heads off, or if you have access to a welder, weld a M10 bolt onto the end of the cap head and undo using that..

Reactions: spartacus 68
Before you go any further, go get a set of new carrier bolts from Audi, that way if you mangle them, its not a problem for refitting, and you'll be fine for next time.

A decent 8mm hex drive socket properly hammered in, and careful application of torque should see them off, make 100% sure the torque is applied perpendicular to the bolt, and dont let the hex bit droop down at an angle when your trying to undo it, or you will chew them up.

Worst case you cut the heads off, or if you have access to a welder, weld a M10 bolt onto the end of the cap head and undo using that..

Spot on. If the rear of the car is jacked up (axle stands for safety) you can get 1/2 ratchet with extension and 8mm Draper hex bit on it, wire brush first and hammered in to seat. Applied pressure rather than brute force and it will shift. Also read that Irwin bolt extractor can be used if the bolt is rounded off.

Spent this morning managing to round the bolts off unsurprisingly...am gonna have to admit defeat I think and get someone with a significant heat source and ramp to have a go....
thanks for your replies guys...good to know there are interested parties on here....will come back more often!!