Replacement turbo

Iceash

Reaction score
Been chatting to my mechanic this morning. Said only to fit Audi K03 new, no recon's or dodgy far eastern types. Where's best to buy new?

Your mechanic is a donkey, whilst I would avoid the cheap Chinese tat a refurbed unit from a reputable supplier will be absolutely fine. Universal Turbos and CR Turbos are good, Beach Buggy on here does a nice line in hybrid units too.

Well I thought also a referb would be fine? Who would we all recommend?

Do you need a replacement turbo? I have one from jcb's old engine which was a tqs 180bhp model and as far as I'm aware it's a good one, slight play in shaft but nothing major, it's no use to me as I'm building that engine with a gt3071r so you can have it for £30 posted?

I'm sure jcb on here can answer any questions about the turbo for you, it's still fitted to the engine but can be removed tomorrow if you want it

That's really good of you to offer. I'll see what's said next week and let you know :yes:

I wouldnt be touching a CR turbo after some of the stuff i've seen over on 8L boards.

You need to decide what you want from the car.

Someone like beachbuggy will rebuild the turbo for a few hundred quid and you'll be back to how it was.

However you can use this as an opportunity to tune the engine up a bit, then look at a hybrid.

Essentially a hybrid is where they take a standard A4 turbo, and squeeze the internal parts from a bigger turbocharger in the range inside, machining out the housings to take the larger parts. Obviously it costs a bit more, but the advantages are potentially more power.

You can for instance fit the wheels from an RS4 turbo inside a stock A4 unit, which gives you a max of around 250hp rather than the 200hp the stock unit will do.

If you think you might fancy a bit more power, then now is the time to look into hybrids, if not, then just find a reputable rebuilder and have them recondition your turbo. I'd suggest you get the one Broonies offering either way, as you can either have that rebuilt as standard or have it hybridised, then swap it over, meaning no downtime while the turbos away.

Wasn't aware of any problems from CR Turbos, can you elaborate on the problems experienced? I was planning on going to Beach Buggy anyway but would be nice to know.

I wouldnt be touching a CR turbo after some of the stuff i've seen over on 8L boards.

You need to decide what you want from the car.

Someone like beachbuggy will rebuild the turbo for a few hundred quid and you'll be back to how it was.

However you can use this as an opportunity to tune the engine up a bit, then look at a hybrid.

Essentially a hybrid is where they take a standard A4 turbo, and squeeze the internal parts from a bigger turbocharger in the range inside, machining out the housings to take the larger parts. Obviously it costs a bit more, but the advantages are potentially more power.

You can for instance fit the wheels from an RS4 turbo inside a stock A4 unit, which gives you a max of around 250hp rather than the 200hp the stock unit will do.

If you think you might fancy a bit more power, then now is the time to look into hybrids, if not, then just find a reputable rebuilder and have them recondition your turbo. I'd suggest you get the one Broonies offering either way, as you can either have that rebuilt as standard or have it hybridised, then swap it over, meaning no downtime while the turbos away.

i do like the idea of a hybrid, where would I get this done? Would beach buggy do this. Also, what else would have to Change/update. Could I fit as standard and as the mods come along take advantage of the hybrid turbo?

The whole advantage of a hybrid is a stock location turbo that can support the add on mods of injectors, maf and FMIC to get more than 200bhp the stock turbo is capable of and retains the cat/down pipe and intake side of things.

theres the frankenturbo F21 kit but mine went sour after 10k just ordered my replacement CHRA so will see how this one does but people in the states have run them trouble free but there are a few cases of poorly FT on the net, the kit comes with high flow manifold, tip and hybrid turbo for 1K you could probably get a beach buggy and high flow cast manifold or port your original one for less than 1K but id say a strong 260HP could be had from them.

The FT F23 for the new golf gti etc has been tested on a stock car with just the turbo and produced 380bhp !!

The whole advantage of a hybrid is a stock location turbo that can support the add on mods of injectors, maf and FMIC to get more than 200bhp the stock turbo is capable of and retains the cat/down pipe and intake side of things.

theres the frankenturbo F21 kit but mine went sour after 10k just ordered my replacement CHRA so will see how this one does but people in the states have run them trouble free but there are a few cases of poorly FT on the net, the kit comes with high flow manifold, tip and hybrid turbo for 1K you could probably get a beach buggy and high flow cast manifold or port your original one for less than 1K but id say a strong 260HP could be had from them.

The FT F23 for the new golf gti etc has been tested on a stock car with just the turbo and produced 380bhp !!

if for the moment I bolted a hybrid turbo on to a stock engine it would work fine?

then i'd look to add a long life exhaust and get it chipped?

yeh so long as you dont go too big, it'll work just fine, i've ran mine like this for over a year because i'm lazy and havent got it tuned.

oranoco: theres been quite a few CR Turbos that have failed, then when dismantled for repair its been found they've got incorrect parts inside, like a dual feed bearing in a single feed housing, incorrect thrust washers and the like. Dans had a few and can likely tell you more specifics.

yeh so long as you dont go too big, it'll work just fine, i've ran mine like this for over a year because i'm lazy and havent got it tuned.

oranoco: theres been quite a few CR Turbos that have failed, then when dismantled for repair its been found they've got incorrect parts inside, like a dual feed bearing in a single feed housing, incorrect thrust washers and the like. Dans had a few and can likely tell you more specifics.
Aragorn, is this the one with the simular strange noise as mine?

yeh, but it was second hand when i got it, and has been on the car for ~2 years, so i wouldnt let that go putting you off!

I'm not sure what to make of that noise other than worn bearings. I'm not loosing oil.

does the hybrid bolted onto a stock engine made any performance improvement's?

Wont make any performance unless mapped but will definately give a bit more poke and efficiency !!!

Shocking, and a poor show by CR to say the least.

You ok hanging onto it till Wednesday for me, I'll let you know either way :yes:

Broonie,
can you have a look at the vanes on the exhaust wheel for any sign of damage.
not trying to p1ss on the sale but I lost a spark plug electrode a while back ...it had to go somewhere!

turbo had a slight whistle (thought that may have been the electrode) but didnt smoke, pulled well and as far as i know was in bang spanking order when I parked it in a wall!

cheers

I will take it off the engine tonight and get the housings off if I get finished at a decent time,

Will post up pics of any damage if there is any

Not had a chance to get the turbo off yet, working long hours just now but it's meant to rain tomorrow so will get early finish, joys of being a farmer lol

Right people. My turbo is fine, gonna be a pulley, possibly cam pulley.... Even though this was done 18 months ago.

also found a broken rear spring :think:

Small update. Had all pulleys checked cam belt was too tight so replaced it and tensioner. The strange noise can only be coming via the turbo. As no performance loose been told to ignore it. Doesn't seem to be loosing oil so we'll see how we get on.

A mechanic told me the 'ambulance sound' on my whistling turbo was from an indentation on an impeller. It got liads of power and pills like a train. I don't have a clue if he's right or wrong. Sorely need advice from a more experienced group!!!
its a 2005 A3 2.0 TDi quattro sLine...82K on the clock